Guadalajara to Laguna de Chapala, Mexico Sur

Driving by pic
    Driving into the capital of MexicoGuadalajara was a tangled maze of roads, highways, ramps, tunnels and bridges  it was just about all I could take.  Navigating the many turn-offs, arrows and last minute signs it was giving me more than a headache.  Not to mention the zillion other drivers on the same path as myself.  Nerves of steel and some well... you know what!!....  It was all I could muster as I kept pace and calculated the road in which I was intending to go.  Tlaquepaque was at least a hour drive through the urban area of Guadalajara about 5,095,413 people not a person less. Seeing the signs up ahead I jockeyed for position attempting to get into the correct lane.  

Delicious fresh salsa Guadalajara late eats

I took the turn-off and found myself in a super busy street with traffic crawling everywhere.  I turned off the main road and meander down a side street until I came to a landmark, where I parked and checked the GPS, Map and Satcom. Wow!!   I can't believe it but somehow I'm in the general area of my destination about 7klm away.  Finding my mark on the GPS I set a course and let the GPS do the rest.

        I guess your asking yourself why in the H E double toothpicks am I putting myself through all of this. Well back in Lareto I had lost my wallet, drivers licenses and credit card. This was the only known address I had, a friend of a friend.  So after much a-do I had my replacement card sent to Stan and Jose at Casa de las Flores in Tlaquepaque and I was here to pick it up!!
Pulling up to the front door I was so relived I made it.  Jose greeted me at the door as he realized that I was the one they were holding mail for.  He invited me in, the entrance was something out of a movie set, as I walked deeper into this plush BnB courtyard the atmosphere was truly amazing.  It took them 35yrs and tons of talent to create this incredible slice of majestic beauty from the extensive gardens to the walls covered in all types of art.  Stan introduced himself and offered me a refreshment I was in such awe as I rubbernecked in every direction while sitting down in the lush courtyard.
Beers in hand mourning the dead streets of Chapala
       Mission completed we talked and I was on my way. Getting dark I needed to find accommodations for the night.  Consulting iOverlander app I spotted a low cost hotel with secure parking about 13klm away plugged it in to my GPS and followed directions.
Front door Hacienda, Ajijic
As it turned out there are many no-tell Motels by the hour while your car is parked literally under wraps and out of view.  Although this was not one of them the room was very clean comfortable with gated secure parking. Located in the part of the city with large office buildings and a hospital close by.  It was late I was hungry and I ventured out for something to eat just my luck I found perhaps the only restaurants open in this part of town.(my only pic of Guadalajara).
Wall in Ajijic

Waking in the morning my luck was still holding there was a FedEx station near -by.  Checked out, I drove to the FedEx and completed my task. I grabbed a tasty torta and a refresco from the local sidewalk cafe before heading out of town. Studying the map I found the road leading out of town on MEX23 and headed south to Lake Chapala.  Laguna de Chapala is the largest lake in all of Mexico and it is only 47klm south of Guadalajara.
bike animal art

Pulling in to this busy little town of Chapala the lake was laid out before me down to the waters edge to the malecon. Parked in a shady spot, I walked around checking out the malecon and looked for a cambio to exchange some dollars for pesos. Spotting a Banco Azteca I was able to get pesos have a bite to eat, relax with coffee and a ice cream cone plus locate some camping.
 Taking a side trip to the nearby town of Ajijic.  Smaller in scale than Chapala large homes with stables and cobblestone tree lined neighborhoods along the lakes edge.
 
narrow roads in Ajijic






It almost seemed like Palos Verde, CA. with the horses and stunning haciendas. Narrow streets  crisscrossing  the small town it was a wonderful drive.
super gentle horse




 
Heading back to Chapala I found camping next to the lake front local park near the tennis courts.  I leveled my rig  popped the RTT and a couple of beers sitting at the waters edge.



Camp Lake Chapala


In the morning I would grab provisions, gas, ice and head east along the lakes coast...

Hope to see you on the Trail!!....
🚙.......