Mezcala to Irapuato, Mexico Sur

Sandia break in Mezcala

   Breaking camp at Lake Chapala, I headed east along the northern coast.  So many vistas of the lake I couldn't help but take the side roads that lead into little villages like Mezcala.  Carved out on the lakes edge the cobblestone single lane narrow roads are steep and rough at best.  With each twist and turn I clung to the sheer edges of the mountainous northern coast of Lake Chapala
chayote suspended above ground

 Each little village is a slice right out of time stood still.  Fresh water is pumped up the hillside in a tangled maze of bendable PVC water pipes diverted through the sprawling villages. Driving through the hillside villages, every bit of accessible land was covered in chayote. They grow it above the land on a crisscross of cables about 4ft off the ground. 

Rising above Lake Chapala

 The chayote vine is planted every so often, as the vine grows they attach it to the suspended cables up-above creating a shady canopy underneath, there most of the farmers live tending to their crop.  The potato like vegetable then hangs down where they easily harvest it when it's ready under the cool shade.  I got plenty of looks as my rig crawled through the rough steep hillsides as school kids jumped on the back bumper to hitch a ride up the hills. Fun!!

Mezcala on Lake Chapala
 Turning away from the narrow cobblestone roads I veered up to the  two lane road as I climbed to the overlook to get a birds eye view of the villages and Lake Chapala.  As the road crested the mountain I drove east along the saddle til I found myself entering Ocotlan.
The hometown of the Mexico's famed artist, Rodolfo Morales. With an impressive 16th century restoration of Templo de Santo Domingo also the Fundacion Cultural Rodolfo Morales which houses some of Rodolfo's famous international works among others of, heritage, social welfare and environmental.
Rocking Horses Plaza
16th century Templo de Santo Domingo, Ocotlan




 Licking my ice cream cone I walked the plaza where large handcrafted wooden rocking horses were galloping in place as beaming children poised clutching the reins. Taking a break I found a shady spot next to a river made lunch and watched a group of men play dominoes.
  Heading due east on MEX90 I traveled through town after town like La Barca, Yurecuaro, Penjamo finally coming to Irapuato. This place was amazing.  I drove around through the many plazas rubber necking, I found some public parking and set-out on foot.  It was getting dark soon and I had to take pics before the light was gone.  I must have walked 5klm that night I have the blisters forming on my feet to prove it. (wearing shoes not flip-flops)
(top) Presidencia Municpal de Irapuato  (bottom) Fuente Florentina & Fuente Danzarina
The many plazas were filled with people and the architecture was outstanding.  When the light had faded I just sat and watched the night set-in eating, music playing and people socializing. Getting late I decided to look for a Walmart and make camp.
Templo San Francisco, Irapuato

Driving all day and then trying to navigate this large city at night, it just made sense.   Actually it was the first time that I choose a Walmart to camp, it was safe with plenty of room heck there were two guards walking around if needed.
riverside lunch break, Ocotlan


   Getting a late start in the morning after coffee and fresh baked Mexican pastries from Walmart (coffee was yours truly), I headed north east to San Miguel de Allende.







Hope to see you on the Trail!!...
🚙.......