Tepic to Tequila, Mexico Sur

Alters at the top of the pass to Tepic

    Getting off the auto ferry I was firmly on all 4's, Mexico Sur,  Mazatlan to be precises.  I chose to take the scenic route along the malecon before pushing on.  Mazatlan was filled with tourists loaded in funky taxis playing loud annoying music zipping around, "exit stage left" as I exited the city.

looking back through the pass to Tepic

 I located MEX15 and headed out of town towards Guadalajara stopping for gas and coffee.  I realized my rig running a little rough so I chose to put some injector cleaner in the tank with my fill-up.  The highway was in descent shape and I made good time cruising through little villages and towns. About 200klm later the road started to go through a winding mountain pass. Climbing the hills I noticed that my rig was still running rough, all I needed to do is make it to Tepic just another 60klm away.
Camp Tepic

Pulling into Tepic I found a shady spot parked and searched for options it was after 5p on a Thursday night.  I opted to look for camping and worry about the rig in the morning since it made it this far (it wasn't getting worse).   Finding a cherry of a camp spot hidden behind a little row of shops a old RV camp/apt building park, it was like someones back yard.
"Breaky"
 Fruit and shade trees, lots of green grass super secure with electricity, my own shower and flushing toilet. 90 pesos a night I ended up staying 4 nights. It was just what I needed to catch up on some sleep from the ferry crossing and get my bearings straight, plus get the rig checked out.  Making camp after going to the market for provisions ice and beer. I plugged in and sat level in a shady spot sipping a beer listening to the nights air close in. Tepic is about 3100ft above sea-level so at night the cool dry air was welcome and made for a restful sleep.
#3 ignition coil replaced
Coffee and breaky in the late-morning cheese quesadilla with fresh avocado a tasty and slow start for the day.  Afternoon temps were warm and inviting it was one of those kick-back days while I pondered what was up with my rig.

      My diagnoses was that an ignition coil had failed, but the million dollar question was which one, there are 8 coils one for each cylinder.  Feeling good about my diagnoses I enjoyed my stay until it was time to head-out.  Thinking I would take it to a Toyota Dealer popping the bonnet I inspected the problem once more.

sugar cane field
 After reading online that AutoZone has a diagnostic computer available I chose the latter.  Packing up I headed to the AutoZone down the street they were quick to help, they plugged in their computer as it read the codes my rig was spitting out.  Sure enough it was the ignition coil and #3 cylinder at that... Bingo!  Looking up the part# they had one in stock plus a new spark plug I was set about $75.US.  Returning to my campsite I proceeded to change it out....... Something was not right the part was not in the right box or visa versa.
truck loaded with sugar cane, nice bull bar!
Putting my rig back together I high-tailed it back to AutoZone.  They had to call another store luckily they had one and the parts delivery guy would be back in a hour, no sweat!  After a late lunch the part was waiting for me and with closer inspection I deemed it was the right part.  Installing it was a piece of cake, rig back running on all 8 cylinders, instead of leaving Tepic that day I opted to stay one more night.
zocalo Ixtlan del Rio


  In the morning jumping back on MEX15 I pointed my compass to Guadalajara the road was heavy with smoke from sugar cane plantations and trucks hauling massive amounts of cut cane almost over-loaded as they whipped by.

old stuff Ixtlan del Rio



 Traveling through a bunch of little towns and villages it was like a travel log of post cards.  I stopped for lunch in Ixtlan del Rio and a stroll around one of the many jardins.  Also went to a site of ruins Tumba de Tiro and took a self guided tour. With all that activity I needed a ice cream break, Magdalena with its picturesque zocalo was just the spot.

Real old stuff Tumba de Tiro

Magdalena zocalo
  Pressing on the landscape changed to agave plantations they were literally planted everywhere along the road leading into Tequila. Taking a side trip through the streets of Tequila proved to be a beautiful town, centuries old architecture, the buildings, restaurants, gran tequila tasting rooms and the inviting zocalo.
Agave Agave everywhere!
 Craftsman busy making wooden barrels along the side of the road. So many tequila houses large and small dotted this part of Mexico.
Tequila zocalo
 It was evident that in Tequila, tequila is not only seeped deep in tradition and a life style but a way of life as a lucrative commodity to this area.

driving the streets of Tequila

Getting late in the day I connected back on MEX15 and drove 75klms to Guadalajara, before dark.
Guadalajara is huge 9 million people and roads going everywhere.......








Hope to see you on the Trail!!...

🚙......