Acapulco, Mexico Sur

Looking back hotel row in background, Acapulco
   As I drove into Acapulco I couldn't help but notice the huge hotel complexes along the coast.  Massive buildings of almost every style of architecture stand shoulder to shoulder choking the vistas of the "san de beaches".  Driving through on the coastal road the scenic route starts to climb the winding Acapulco landscape.  Before long I spied a pull-out and was high above the mammoth hotels looking down on a panoramic view of the landmass. 

Driving into Acapulco along the waters edge

 From there I could barely see the city of Acapulco just around the mountainous edge. Traffic flowed evenly as I navigated the winding streets passing many US based food chains and stores.  I turned up towards the city center market-place looking for a Elektra store which house's a Banco Azteca where I can get my money exchanged into pesos.

top; streets of downtown, market place Acapulco  below; awesome street food, pocket tacos downtown Acapulco
     Its always a bit challenging navigating through a busy city in Mexico the signs are hidden or just not there.  Finally finding my destination I secured public parking and headed out on foot. First stop Banco Azteca to get some pseso's, then all that street food is calling my name.   I stopped to wet my whistle, Agua de Tamarindo, "heck yeah!!" A huge cup filled with a tangy sweet mix of ice cold Tamarind juice it's like crack, so freaking tasty going down.  A few steps further was a little table with little folded-over tortillas stuffed, with meat and veg, served on a plate splashed with some outrageous, fresh hot sauce.  I sat on a little stool, on that crowded sidewalk and was glad of every bite.
road extended over the cliffs edge
Couldn't stop there a few stalls down were these little corn tortilla pockets filled with heck knows what. Like 5ea sprinkled with queso blanco for 25 pesos.  Slumping over a window ledge I muscled those bad boys down with a Coke light while watching the bustle of the city.
top; Cruiser across the bay of Acapulco   below; famous cliff diving coast Acapulco
   Taking a walk through the city streets led me back to my parked rig, when I decided to do a little more sightseeing.  Exploring across town on the other side of the bay, I parked on the cliff to view the water below.  Thinking this is where the famous Acapulco cliff diving is located.  Absorbing the iconic view I noticed a paleta cart and I immediately reached into my pocket for 10 pesos. Licking my guyabana paleta while watching the foamy, crystal blue waters churn far below thinking, you have to be a-crazy to jump off these cliffs!!.
top; Acapulco Trailer Park camp Playa de la Cuesta   bottom; Laguna de la Coyuca
    Getting late in the day it was time to find a spot to camp, heading west just a few kilometers on the outskirts of Acapulco, is Pie de la Cuesta.  A small rustic town with a beach on one side Playa de la Cuesta and a lush fresh water bird sanctuary lagoon on the other, Laguna de Coyuca.  I drove west on  Av de la Fuerza Aerea Mexicana straight to Acapulco Trailer Park & Mini-Super a  older camp ground located on Playa de la Cuesta.  The two elderly women running the place were very sweet and welcoming.  I parked my rig along the playa, noting that I was the only traveler.  With a windfall of  regaderas, sanitarios and electricity, the grounds were very clean, secure and tranquilo, (security fence surrounding the property).  I stayed two nights.
sitting at the dock Laguna de le Coyuca




     Up in the morning after some tasty snacks and coffee I set out on foot to explore the surrounding area. Walking over to Laguna de Coyuca across the street on the lagoon side, a row of wooden boat-docks lined with colorful sightseeing boats standing empty. Picturesque flora and fauna is everywhere its lush tropical feel reminded me a lot like the everglades while the birds and crocs  caminando.






rat rod bus Pie de la Cuesta
My caminar took me through the little market place,  I strolled the roadside stalls selling fresh fruits, veggies and tasty baked goods.  Relaxing back at camp, tipping a few and listening to the waves cresting on the shore as locals and tourists walk the beach at sunset, e pada noche.




on the road to Zihuatanejo
   In the AM I broke camp and headed back on MEX200 west to the Pacific paradise of beautiful beaches, Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa. (Shawshank Redemption)

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
🚙.......