Agua Blanca, Turtle Hatchery, Mexico Sur

Playa Agua Blanca red flag riptides
   Breaking camp at Tangolunda, I was making my way back to MEX200 when I drove through what appeared to be a tourist town, La Crucecita.  It had all the modern conveniences and I took full advantage of them before pressing on. They had a large modern supermarket Soriana Hiper were I stopped and got provisions including ice, beer and water.  I picked-up some pollo frito and I ate it in the parking lot with a soft serve ice cream cone chocolate dipped.  Feeling satiated.  I stop for gas at the Pemex filled up and headed out.  Taking a left on to MEX200 pointed me west along the Pacific Ocean.  About 60km down the road I came to MEX175 and took the turn south to Puerto Angel.  The road came down from a small cliff and put me on sea level.  I went through a tight fitting seaside community with tons of restaurants/bars, hotels/hostels and beachwear stores.  I was looking for camping and was not feeling so good about this place that's when I noticed all the Yoga signs.  Apparently young millennials come here for sunburns and yoga classes under a mosquito filled palapa's while chickens peck and dogs roam about.

top; surf eroded rock   bottom; Casa Colibri camp Agua Blanca
    Taking MEX175 as it's looping to the west I passed Playa Zipolite kinda the same thing so I pressed on hooking back on to MEX200 west.  About another 70km down the road I see the signs to Agua Blanca and take the turn-off heading for the shoreline. This under developed community is in a unique location for one it's in the middle in between Puerto Angel and the bigger town of Puerto Escondido.  Also it lies on the very southern coast of Mexico as it bends on the Pacific Ocean below the 16th parallel south of the southern most border of Belize. Plus easy short access from the main road MEX200.  With the favorable weather patterns and the clear ocean water there is a small development happening here with people looking for a off-the-grid location.

one of the most perfectly cooked  delicious meals in Mexico, Playa Agua Blanca
    The vibe was very lay-back and I felt a growing community of like minded people. I inquired about camping at Casa Colibri.  I was immediately impressed with my host Rene.  Him and his wife Bertha have been working for 3.5 years at putting together this off-the-grid Espacio Ecologico, camping and habitaciones property,  he said "it was his social responsibility". Located up on the rise from the playa Casa Colibri is surrounded by a peanut farm to the north. I camped here for several nights and enjoyed the small community, walking the playa and the wonderful fresh food.

top; Playa Zicatela Hotel   bottom; flat surf Puerto Escondido
     Pulling up stakes I pressed onward to Puerto Escondido a surf town famous for the Mexican Pipeline, Zicatela this is where CNN Sports comes to film the pipeline classic surf championship which brings world-class surfers here to compete.  During the time I was there, the surf was not up in fact it was red flagged.  The riptides were keeping the local kooks on shore walking the streets in their matching Van's garb. Tall, lean, flat stomachs and broad shoulders it wasn't hard to figure out which of them were serious surfers.

bay marina Puerto Escondido
      Driving around town I was not too impressed with Puerto Escondido graffiti and broken glass was very apparent, lots of crumbling structures abandon for newer larger structures. After stopping for coffee and a empanada I decided to move on to find my camp for the night.

top; Turtle hatchery palapa   bottom; Turtle nests scheduled for hatching
    Up MEX200 about 35km west of Puerto Escondido I was told of a turtle hatchery where they watch nests, San Pedro Mixtepec.  Turning off of MEX200 I followed the dirt road winding through this little village I found myself on a beautiful stretch of beach, punctuated by a single very large fenced in Palapa, with a group of local caretakers hanging out. I parked and got out to investigate.  It was a well kept bare-bones hatchery and quit organized, by dates and data taken at the time of discovery.  I was told that you can participate in releasing the turtles as, and when they hatch, unfortunately there was no hatching scheduled during my stay. Donations are always welcomed as it helps them maintain vigilance for a great cause.
top; open playa looking east   bottom; San Pedro Mixtepec palapa camp
     Driving along the playa about 1.5km there was another palapa a small restaurant shack (closed) with a drop toilet the owner was more than happy for me to camp, so I did which he checked in on me daily. On one side was the beach on the other was a fresh water bog that was a favorite local spot for fishing. I popped my RTT among the small coconut palms close to the palapa.  A wonderful spot I camped here for a couple of nights.
playa San Pedro Mixtepec, San Gabriel Mixtepec mountains background
 Packing up camp I headed towards Acapulco about 400km west on MEX200.

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
🚙........