On the way to Acapulco, Mexico Sur

looking into the Parque Nacional lagunas de Chacagua from camp dock at Kasandra's

  Driving on MEX200 I was heading for Acapulco about 400km away. A couple of kilometers west  I had seen signs for Laguna Manialtepec a birding lake that has phosphorescent plankton. I stopped to check it out, unfortunately it wasn't the right time of year to view the spoonbills or other birds nor was the plankton cooperating. It actually felt a bit creepy, it looked like a bunch of crumbling cement animal enclosures next to the waters edge not to mention the ton of rotting mango's on the ground (itch!)....   " Exit stage left!!"

top; looking out to open ocean  bottom; across the inlet from my dock
  I jumped back on the road and headed west.  My next stop was Parque Nacional Lagunas de Chacagua a stretch of land forming a lagoon with a open ocean entrance. I took the turn-off from MEX200 to San Jose del Progreso.  I navigated my way through a dirt road that would take me out to a camping spot 46km around the spit of land to the mouth of the ocean. Farmland and irrigation levees as the dirt track wound around while passing old coconut tree plantations, old growth hardwoods and mango trees.  Plowing through mud holes and kicking up dust I made it to Kasandra's Camp located on the inlet spit.
Kasandra's camp dock




  I wedged my rig into an epic spot sitting on the waters edge. I had my own dock over the water perfect for watching the boat taxi traffic go by.  There was no other way to cross the inlet unless you went 40km one way back around or you took a water taxi across.  Plugged in I popped my RTT and did a little fishing, reading, snoozing and swimming, not necessarily in that order.
gato kitty





 The water was cool, clear and it flowed back and forth as the tide came in and out. I was visited by dogs, cats and entertained by the boat taxi traffic up and down. Sipping  coffee on my deck one morning I witnessed a launch leading two horses swimming across the inlet as another taxi whizzed by loaded with a scooter.  Just another day in the life of this little Mexican Village.
  Pulling up stakes and back on MEX200 just before Cruz Grande I entered a little beach village about 75km before Acapulco in Guerrero, Colonia Juan N Alvarez.  The village stretched out along the lonely coast. Pristine sand and clear turquoises blue water I was checking out the village looking for a spot to camp.
top; palapa beach camp Colonia San Juan N Alvarez   bottom; untouched playa
I took the only road west until I found a open section of beach with a palapa on it. With a little trash detail I leveled my rig and popped my RTT on this deserted stretch of beach. Sipping beers and watching the sunset. I stayed here for one night before pressing on west.

Las 3 Carabelas beach alley camp
   After coffee in the am I broke camp and headed back on the road. Acapulco was about 50km away when I slammed on the brakes, Carnitas Taco Stand, brekkie!! Belled up and loaded up on some very delicious, moist tacos de carnitas then jumped back in the rig and drove down MEX200 to the Barra Vieja exit.  This road took me along the beach, a route lined with simple little villages one after another along a stretch before you entered Acapulco.  I had heard that Mrs Carabelas at Las 3 Carabelas Restaurant would let you park next to her place in the alley at the entrance to the beach, so I gave it a try. She was so nice she offered  regaderas and sanitarios at no cost, I was blown away.

top; chile seco Camarones   bottom; sunset from steps of Las 3 Carabelas
I was able to park my rig close to her place under the security lights which she left on for me. I ordered some food from her place and a couple refresco's but not everyday.  She was so nice even when I said I was leaving after 4or 5 nights she insisted I stay longer. Feeling I had to do something I found a broom and swept the patios, stairs and walkways each night.
Saying my thank you's and good-bye's I broke camp early in the day to explore Acapulco, just 15km away.

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
🚙.......