Crossroads, Mazatlan Mexico Sur

 property in ruins
    Driving up MEX200 I was heading to Tepic from the west to the east on NAY16 a scenic drive through rolling hillsides and ranches. Tepic was my first night camping  traveling over on the ferry from La Paz to the mainland a few months ago. Today I plan to revisit Tepic and camp at the small RV park I camped at before. Pulling into Los Pinos RV Trailer Park the site was as green and lush as before, except there are now new tariffs from $95pesos to $370pesos per night. I decided to move on. 

on the road to San Blas

   Shifting my camping plans I head out of town west to San Blas on the pacific coast. About a hour+ later I pulled into San Blas heading south along the coast,  I spotted a large empty camping beach lined with coconuts and ask about camping. I unlocked the gate and drove my rig to a level spot under the shade, plugged in and popped my RTT. Sanitarios, locked gate at night, free Wifi, camping on the beach electricity and water $180pesos per night.  I stayed for 4 nights reading and getting my blog up to date, while soaking up the beautiful sunsets and sunny days.

Top; San Blas beach camp  Belew; Sunset at San Blas
      Pulling up stakes I headed up north along the Pacific coast on NAY23 making my way over to Mazatlan. Mazatlan is a crossroads for me just months ago the starting point of my mainland Mexico trip. Now I'm driving the streets in Mazatlan on a breezy friday late afternoon.
Panadero on steroids,
I cruised the crowded 26k malecon with bumper to bumper traffic it was people watching to the third power.  Looking for a spot to camp I checked out a couple of small neighborhood parks.
top; Malecon Mazatlan   bottom; Mazatlan coat of arms
     Cruised around some more I did a little food shopping then I checked a field next to the police station.  I parked next to some trees just a stone throw from the police station gate. A couple of beers later while watching the traffic cruise by in the distance I slipped into my RTT undisturbed til morning.
Mazatlan camp police station
  Thinking, I needed a restroom and some coffee I packed up camp and headed to the local OXXO (7eleven).
Mazatlan morning camp view
     Knowing I'm at my cross roads for this trip I now plan my exit strategy. I set my compass NW to Barrance de Cobre , Copper Canyon. The canyon is located south of Chihuahua and north of Los Mochis.
Pemex camp Los Mochis




 Driving late in the day on NAY16 I found myself taking the Los Mochis turnoff and spotted a Pemex gas station free camp/parking $10pesos showers (needed one!). Parked my rig and popped my RTT next to the equipment. 24/7 security, they welcome you to park or camp.
on the road!
 From Los Mochis I head north to El Furete and Choix as I enter the Copper Canyon.


Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
🚙.......