Canyon Country, Barrancas Del Cobre, Mexico

Looking down on Oteros River Canyon Country, Barrancas Del Cobre

         Pulling out of Creel a light rain was falling as I was heading south-west towards San Rafael a small village nestled on the hillside in this mountainous region.   I was in search for a hidden gem a remote spot in Canyon Country on the Oteros River.  With GPS coordinates I was determined to find my intended location. Taking a dirt track off the main road I continued to what looked like a well organized farming settlement inhabited by the indigenous Tarahumara Indians.  The hilly track twisted and turned around huge rocks, through trees, small creeks and fenced plots of land.  As the trail headed deeper into the hills I got the feeling that I was on the right track. 
Crossing the Oteros River
Following the GPS I was on my mark sitting on a rock cliff, from there the track made a sharp left turn down a very steep set of rock steps.  Parking my rig I got out to access the obstacle and view the path leading to the canyon floor.  Once I climbed on the rock outcrop I could see the river and the twisting canyon that lay before me, hidden gem was a understatement.
Track ends and foot trail begins

    Shifting into 4w-lo with my rear locker engaged, I started my crawl down the wet rocky muddy steps at a slow calculated speed.  Careful not to lose traction which would cause me to slide down without control (gravity is a bitch!).  Slowly descending down to the rivers edge hairpin turn after hairpin turn any longer of a wheel base would have made these turns more difficult than they already were.  Gripping the wheel with both hands I maneuvered my rig safely down the slippery rocky track.  I was deep into the Tarahumara Indian's backyard.
looking up from canyon floor
     The Oteros River was before me a slow running river sandy and wide, crossing the river on the only bridge, looking for a place to camp.  After taking a dirt track down-river a short distance I realized that it ended at a off cambered rocky perch. Back tracking up-river the track started to climb the canyon wall away from the river, so I went back across the river where I spied a sweet spot, just as I pictured it, only steps away from the Oteros River.
Base camp Oteros River Canyon Country, Barrancas Del Cobre
    As the sun was slung low over the far canyon wall I made camp and sat in awe.  Absorbing my surroundings thinking how amazing, these remarkably adapted Tarahumara Indians are to this unforgiving rugged environment.  Approx 50k Tarahumara Indians live in this region known as Canyon Country many still live a very simple life, using the regions 350 different spices of plants and animals for food, fiber, medicine and religious purposes. They are also known among the world as the greatest long-distance runners.
Morning coffee
On the foot trail looking back at camp
Hiking down river
   I would camp here for 3 nights taking day hikes, casting some lines and reading.  During this time I would see hints of daily life for the Tarahumara, they would appear and disappear without a sound, women and children washing clothes in the river.  Men and boys trekking through on there way too or from their village or camp located deep within this rugged environment.
top; standing hoo-dos   mid; large rock pinnacles   bottom; wide dry river bed
One morning a gentleman stopped and I shared my coffee with him as we sat trying to find words each other could understand, taking note of his gentle calm voice.  We all think of "Mexico" differently good or bad and to tell you the truth I had no idea, this place is epic in the true sense of the word.
Canyon getting narrow
worn Tarahumara foot trail along canyon floor
water carved  petrified volcanic river rock
crazy fungus
thick canyon tree growth, foot trail to the right
Breaking camp my rig preformed flawlessly.  While shifting in 4w-lo with rear locker engaged I clawed my way up and out of the canyon, heading south to Almos a 18th century sliver boom town...
driving through a slot canyon low clearance on the way to Almos










Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
🚙.../\/\../\..