Creel, Barrancas Del Cobre, Mexico

Top of the canyon sitting on bed rock

     Climbing 1800m up and out of  Urique, I was heading to Creel the northern gateway to the Barrancas Del Cobre. This part of the track was taking me through the high country forest with cool crisp temps the sun was shining and the scenery was non-stop. I was in no hurry to navigate this or any part of the Copper Canyon.

Ranchito in the high county

  I camped at least three nights before entering Creel and covered about 100km through some of the most stunning twisting climbing primitive roads.  Occasionally I would just stop to take it all in.  I was so amazed at the epic sights that I forgot to take pics, but that just means I need to come back and do it again.
Camping in the high forest

     So instead of boring you with reading my story the compilation of pics will illustrate my adventure to a small busy mountain village 2300m above sea level.  Creel is the center for many outdoor activity's in this mountainous region and is one of the largest of the high country towns where the Primera Express Train 74 runs a schedule from Chihuahua (north) to Los Mochis (south).
Looking north towards Creel
Forest high above the Canyon floor
Primitive track through the high country
Looking south climbing out of Urique
Rocky outcrop
Climbing steep grade entering the tree line
Lunch break babbling brook
Farmer plowing high elevation prairie
Creek trail
Morning at 8900ft
Embankment camp 7800ft
Long Pines
Dense rocky forest Copper Canyon
Creek carved from rock
Layered rock formations entering Creel
One of many hairpin turns on the road to Creel
Scenic butte, road into Creel
Canyon rim camp
Zocalo, Creel, Pueblo Magico
Diocesis de Tarahumara, Templo Cristo Rey, Creel
Map of Copper Canyon, note Urique to Creel






  I hope you enjoyed this part of my adventure through the Barrancas Del Cobre, oh but wait, its only the halfway point!! From Creel I filled up on fuel grabbed a bite to eat and soaked in the local Tarahumara Indians selling goods dressed in there traditional clothing (I felt it was impolite to take their pictures, after all, I'm the alien).
Morning camp view











  The rain was on and off when leaving Creel and I was headed south-west along the top of the canyon to a elusive remote camping spot only to be found by GPS coordinates and a little luck!.

Crossing Rio Oteros











Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
🚙...../\/\/\/\...