Basaseachi Falls, Mexico

the less traveled road to Basaseachi
     Driving on SON162 from Alamos, I was heading towards Navojoa a rather large blue-collar town with box franchises you would normally find in the states.  (A major clue you were getting closer to the border).  Jumping on MEX15 pointed north-west I was looking for a back road heading due north.  

on the detour looking for my turn off
Less traveled road  SR190
looking into a gully SR190

I wanted to avoid the more traveled highways on my way to the Parque Nacional Cascada de Basaseachi.  Just before my turn off, was a police patrolled road block, 42km detour through farmland before catching up to my intended turn off SR190. Traveling on SR190 was remote, pothole riddled and winding through lush green hills  was indeed wonderful. 

MEX16

       Connecting on MEX16 while gaining elevation it started to rain on and off.  The late sun was hanging below the clouds as rainbow sightings were doubled and sometime tripled navigating through this pristine part of Sonora.

Rainbows at every turn
          With skies getting dark I was in-search of a place to camp.  Pulling into the damp small village of Ye`cora I spied a Pemex gas station and made a inquiry to park for the night.  Most Pemex stations in Mexico welcome travelers to park free for the night.

My Pemex camp Yecora
      Grateful for the spot I popped my RTT, chilled with a couple of beers and crawled in for the night.  A fresh cup of coffee in the sunny morning was just steps away from refueling and heading out on MEX16.  Not short on beautiful lush scenery nor was it long before I stopped roadside to enjoy a very scenic, sunny picnic spot.

Super chill lunch spot off MEX16
      Driving on MEX16 after lunch I entered the state of Chihuahua and through the northern outskirts of the Barrancas Del Cobre.  I would soon be taking the turn off to the town of Basaseachi a gateway to the Parque Nacional Cascada de Basaseachi, where the tallest full-time waterfall in Mexico is located.  Taking the turn off I drove through a quiet little village while on the road leading to the entrance of this extraordinary Parque and trail head to the 246m waterfall.

Hiking to the top of the Basaseachi Falls
            Parking at the trail head I set out on foot, excited for an epic hike.  Steps into the hike I crossed a metal cable suspension foot bridge to a trail leading to the top of the falls.

Iconic views from the top of Basaseachi falls
            Breathtaking (high elevation) views with unlimited photo ops.... Incredible!!   But being on the top of the falls was just the beginning.

hiking down to the base of Basaseachi Falls
Basaseachi Falls monochromatic trail vista circa 2019
trail leading to Basaseachi Falls

bottom of the 246m Basaseachi Falls
      Continuing on the trail I started a steep winding decent (gravity) to the base of the falls.  Eventually making it to the bottom I was pooped as I sat in aw looking up at a 246m free-fall of water....    Spectacular!!                               We all know what goes down must come up? and up!
clawing back to the top
thick foliage looking up from the bottom of falls
wildflowers at the base of the Basaseachi Falls
        Crawling back up to the top of the falls was a 2 hour hike I was tuckered to say the least.   Slowly climbing back into my rig I was sore and elated for completing such a incredible hike.

top of the falls massive ancient water flow carved rock
             Returning to MEX16, I was driving towards San Juanito.  Dark and wet I pulled over to find a secluded spot to camp.

secluded roadside camp on the way to San Juanito
        To my surprise in the morning before pushing on I was staring at a dead guy's camp!
you guessed it, "Dead Guy Camp"




Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙.../`\....