BCS 2020, Loreto, Agua Verde

Home base Loreto Rivera Del Mar RV park and Camp
      Heading south on MEX1 I was taking in the scenery as I pulled into Loreto, BCS Pueblo Magico.  Knowing my way around from my last visit 2019 (see post, 'Loreto South to Bahia Agua Verde'), I was pretty much on the same path as last year. Although this time I didn't loose my wallet, Thank Guad!!  Rolling into town I knew where I was headed Rivera Del Mar RV Park and Camping a clean and inviting spot within walking distance to town.  I needed a shower and wash clothes which was steps away from my parked rig.

Fish tacos from El Rey del Taco

 

 

I camped for 6 nights catching up on my WeOverlander blog 'Back on the Road, 2020 Baja', while getting my fill of carnitas and fish tacos, shopping at the Super Ley for provisions and a tasty soft serve cone.    
 

The weather was on and off and I was in no hurry to move from my camp until more favorable conditions.  There are only a few roads in this part of BCS so you tend to end up in the same places for the most part. But with every adventure its the people you meet on the way and this was no exception.


Ana next to her DR getting ready to head north



  Camped next to me stood a well traveled Suzuki DR 650 motorbike with soft panniers piloted by a young Polish women named Ana. Turns out she has traveled over 85,000km through many countries on her trusty steed; Pakistan, C.A., Bolivia, India and even Australia to name just a few. While Ana's background is in IT, as a solo-traveler she makes some exciting YouTube vids, if that doesn't instill adventure, well, I don't know what will.  I soaked in her sense of adventure and stories over a kilo of fresh caught dry-pak local scallops that I sauteed with garlic, basil and chilies in EVO served over steamed cauliflower, tasty yes!! as we shared dinner and a bottle of wine, under our camp hosts pavilion.  I was intrigued at her fearless appetite for travel.  Just the thought of it excites me more on whats lies ahead for me on my own solo-travels and adventures. Heading north through US, Canada and Alaska before returning to her homeland in Poland. ("Thanks for all the great tips on shooting vids"). (My next platform when I make my way down under to AUS at the end of the year).
street art. Loreto
casa entrance. Loreto



   Checking off my list of provisions, fuel, water, tequila, beer, ice and pesos from Banco Azteca. I strolled around  town walking off 4 massive fish tacos from El Rey Del Taco a placed I missed last I was here. With the weather seemingly getting better I pulled up stakes and headed south on MEX1 65km to the turn off to Bahia Agua Verde. 

 Against the Sierra La Giganta Mountain Range a 42km dirt narrow track with breathtaking views of the Sea of Cortez and the Giganta Mountain Range.  Looking for a new place to wild-camp in the area I found a sandy beach cove with a rock island about 12km north of the little fishing village of Bahia Agua Verde.  With the skies cloudy and the wind picking up a drizzle washed the dusty track as I made camp.  So much for better weather!
  Leveling my rig and popping my RTT next to a twisted tree bracing against the wind, I was unsure on the path of the sun keeping my solar in mind.  A quick ham & cheese with some creamy avocado piled on a fresh baked roll from the Super Ley in Loreto p[us a couple of Amstel Chick-a-lobs I crawled into my RTT with a book listening to the rain come and go.
     The next morning getting only a glimpse of the sun I deployed my folding solar panel hoping I could capture enough sun to keep me powered up. With the sky's intermittent cloud cover my panels were struggling to keep up, I soon was put on Def-Con One status. Not wanting to retreat to my RTT every time a sprinkled passed I then deployed my iKamper awning and it was looking more like Base Camp. Time to break out a couple of well researched new items to my kit,  a Tobor folding rake for grooming my living area from rocks, broken glass and angry thorns you find too often while desert camping.
I think my foot feel asleep! Snoooze....
 The other bit of kit is a compact Equip travel hammock complete with a harness and clips for attaching to trees. bumpers or columns when available, both worked like a charm and will be a integral part of my kit. As the sun started to peek out more and more each day it became obvious that I was not parked at the best angle for my solar. Making due I enjoyed a week of cool temps while off-grid camping casting lines, hiking, reading and chill-in in my new addition a very comfy hammock.
      Tons of food in my fridge, so I did not go hungry whether it was brekkie, lunch or din din the rest of the world melted away as I stoked up my BBQ or orchestrated a one-pan-wonder.  With my stores starting to dwindle and the empty bottle of Tequila, not to mention I really needed a shower it was time to pack up.
wood fired oven, Agua Verde
        I was pleasantly surprised when my camp neighbors handed me a farewell bag of fresh hot doughnuts for the road. NICE!! An adventurous couple from Canada they have been coming to this spot for the last five years they even built a wood-fired oven years ago in the side of the rock face wall. Sweet!!
 sand creature cleaning house
     Munching on fresh doughnuts I pulled out and headed down the rocky narrow dirt track climbing my way back on to MEX1 heading south to Ciudad Constitucion for a shower, provisions, fuel, some internet and hopefully some tacos Carnitas.
Sea of Cortez


Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
🚙.......