BCS 2020 Lock Down, La Paz

     Driving on the trail south my mind was reeling, leaving a secluded spot I knew and thoroughly enjoyed for the last 5 weeks.  I was headed to La Paz 100km+ away to reload my provisions, fuel, fresh water, shower and get on-line (paying bills and blog updates). 

     About 45k's on a rough twisting track with narrow hairpin turns steep climbs and descents.  Driving on the edge of a pit mine hugging the coast of Golfo de California passing through a massive shrimp hatchery.  Little spots like Punta Coyote, Portuguese Camp, El Saladito and San Juan de la Costa before hitting a paved road.  
      Not thinking anything of it there was no on-coming traffic not one vehicle.  I was getting closer to La Paz as I saw billboards announcing new living communities and small rundown weekend getaway resorts.  Just as I came to the only gas station (for the last 200km+) at the junction of MEX1 I passed a small unassuming road-block staffed with what looked like regular people (not police or army).  Really not sure what the blockade meant, it was headed in the direction I just came from.  Now thinking would there be a problem to return if I was so inclined too.

     Slipping onto MEX1 I followed the signs to La Paz Centro traveling at a slow pace it felt weird to be back among the people.  You see I was here last year (see my 2019 post 'La Paz the Capital BCS') it was very different.  I spotted the hotel I was planning on staying at it was closed, really no-way, checked another and another all closed. The gas prices had fallen the local taco shops closed.
 I drove to the malecon to my astonishment it was closed the entire street, sidewalks and beaches.  Now I'm beginning to wonder what did I do, driving around, more and more La Paz was looking more unfamiliar.  What!!
      Realizing I had phone service I started checking my phone for messages from Brad and Donna who had hopefully arrived in La Paz days earlier (that was the plan)(see previous post 'BCS 2020 Self Isolation') I was hoping to get some insight on what was next.  No one picked up my call and a text was unanswered.  Driving around some more I was still in a shock, wondering.
  Reading BnD text again, I located the pension they spoke about checking the iOverlander app and my GPS, Pension Baja Paradise. Lucky for me there were rooms available and I was able to talk with the owner Takka. Unfortunately they had no off-street (secure) parking and I was very uneasy about leaving my rig on the street.
     Before renting a room I set out looking for a secure parking location that I could feel good about. Driving around the police were everywhere I must have looked very new to the area.  Stopping at a intersection letting traffic go by trying to decide what direction to go I spotted a police truck or they spotted me.  The officer got out and was walking in my direction.  I asked in the best Spanish I could muster (muy malo at best) if they could direct me to a secure parking location. Puzzled, thinking about it they did not have any answers, I thanked them and proceeded on my way.  Catching up to me on the next block the police officer pulled me over and instructed me to follow them, which I did (thinking my ass is grass and they are going to take me in).
      We pulled up to one of La Paz's institutions built in 1940 Hotel Perla with a secure parking garage located in the heart of the locked-down malecon.  I got out as the officer was talking to the security guard of the closed hotel telling him of my situation.  I was turned away confirming that the hotel garage was closed as well. Thanking them both and the officer especially for trying his best to help.  I was then called back by the officer as he handed me his cellphone not realizing he had HQ on the line,  a soft spoken English speaking officer was offering her best to help.  At this point I was so pleasantly surprised at the extent of the these officers trying to accommodate.  In the end there was no option, again I thanked them telling them that I was grateful for all their efforts.
Returning to the Pension Baja Paradise I capitulated on renting a room and would try in the morning to find secure parking but not with out a somewhat of a sleepless night checking on my rig every couple of hours. It was good to see BnD again as they were encouraging that Pension Baja Paradise was excellent and a secure place to stay with a great location. I could easily see that for myself feeling fortunate to land at a reasonable priced clean well cared for pension. That night I was approached by Sean a UK traveler staying here, he offered to take me over to a friends apt building in the am where they had secure parking, with luck rent a space for FRED (my rig). Cool!! Well that worked out brilliantly now FRED is tucked away under lock and key with in and out privileges for $50p a day.
      With parking sorted out I am now intent with going about day to day in the locked down capital city of La Paz BCS making new friends and seeing old ones (BnD).  La Paz is a time warp taking walks, spying old cars, 4bies, cool buildings, even cooler casitas, vacant streets and parks.










     Food shopping at the many mercados filled with fresh veggies meats and cheeses, local sidewalk eateries offering only a takeout option and of course Panificadora Lilia (bakery). Stop it!!  Hardware stores, liquor stores and gas stations as well as tire and auto mechanic shops, banks plus most gov. services doing business.




 Local bus service still running and most everybody is wearing masks in shops walking or in their cars. Very few people are out or on the roads confirming the state of lock down.

















  


   Booked a room for a week and I'm going to book another week before making any decisions to move on or head back to the bush if possible while the threat of Covid-19 still grips the world.  The decision I have made, is I will not travel to mainland Mexico and the Yucatan region both locked down under a phase 3 restriction, my initial destination for this trip.
     As I write this post mixed info still comes in from different sources BCS travel restriction haunt my decision to go back into the bush (non-essential travel facing large fines and 36hr imprisonment) and heading back to the US really doesn't seem that great of a option either.  Its cheaper to live here in BCS while waiting out the restrictions.
       La Paz has full shelves, a smattering of services open its located on a beautiful bay and the weather is stellar.  I can walk to everything its a low impact population, perhaps I'm talking myself into staying til end of May when a better snapshot of normalcy might develop.
    What ever the case may be, going remote bush or staying in the capital city of Baja California its a hard choice to make!





Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
 ðŸš™.....