BCS 2020 Running out, on time!

    With just a few weeks remaining on my visa it is time for me to get into travel mode running north.  After making inquires about my immigration status and vehicle TIP it is clear that I must return to the US border by Aug 13th to comply with Mexican federal laws.  Once I get there (it may turn out differently but,) I'm pretty sure that I will not be able to re-enter Mexico to re-up my FMM (forma migratoria multiple tourist permit) status a required 180 day entry visa. 
 
Essential travel is still under effect and returning into Mexico just because is not considered essential travel, although leaving Mexico is.  As far as my vehicle TIP** (Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit) is concerned it can only be turned in at the border yet another driving force making it necessary to exit the country in a timely manor (TIP fines are heavy and deliberate).  


      The trip here has been extraordinary to say the least, traveling while a global pandemic sweeps across our planet I feel lucky that I sheltered in BCS.  But it's not stopping here, we are all experiencing harsh problematic times, more of which I will encounter when returning to the US.  It will not be as easy as returning to visit family and friends, in reality it will require the effort of social distancing and self isolation.  I'm feeling confident as a outfitted seasoned Overlander that I'm equipped to handle such an event.
   Pulling up stakes in La Paz at the end of July will be bitter-sweet.  I've grown to enjoy this town and feel comfortable here navigating its streets while being a part of a social experiment brought on by a raging virus.  My plan is to head north embracing a last bit of exploration before I reach the US border, logistically leaving me with a additional 3 day cushion crossing.
   Taking day trips around BCS in the last weeks have been a great release as it boosts my passion to push forward on new adventures and get back on the road.  Planning my route I'm keen on visiting places familiar and discover new tracks.  Staying off the main highways where I can travel under the radar to remote places navigating north through the locked down northern state of Baja California and beyond to the US border.
   With every thing going somewhat according to plan "A", "B" or "C" I should be crossing on or around the 10th of Aug at the border town of Tecate.
  My travels will not stop here.  Traveling to Australia is out of the question in 2020 I will be hatching a plan when global concerns are permitting on a year expedition to start winter of 2021 (keeping my fingers crossed).  In the mean time there is an entire country to explore and rediscover.  USA or bust!!


Hope to see you on the Trail!!..
🚙......

** side note; you are not required to purchase a TIP for your vehicle when traveling only in Baja.  My original plan was to secure my TIP at the border travel through Baja then board a ferry in La Paz across the Sea of Cortez to the mainland Mexico. Exploring the Yucatan Region where you are required to obtain a vehicle TIP to travel.  But since things turned out as they did (covid-19) I never went across to the mainland so thus I did not need a TIP but if I traveled as originally planned I would have been good as gold. (see post 5/20/19 Across the Sea of Cortez to Mazatlan, Mexico).