Florida Panhandle, 2021

       From Inverness FL. I traveled north on Federal 41 cruising through little towns like Dunnellon, High Springs, Newberry and Mayo.  I was headed to Ochlockonee River State Park just outside of Sopchoppy adjacent to ST. Marks Wilderness Refuge. The river dumps out into the Gulf which gives this parks location a plethora of activities. Kayaking and boating is at the top of the list but plenty of bird watching, hiking, fishing and wilderness bike trails. 

 
The camp grounds are well maintained and busy with campers.  I was lucky enough to secure the last site available without a reservation sporting electric hookups, water and a level surface to park my rig.  I was right next to the bathhouse so no worries it turned out very convenient as I needed a good scrub from my previous adventure.  

    One look at the park and I decided to stay two nights there was too much to see and with the hot shower right next door, sold a bargain at $19 bucks a night. 

  
   Dinner that night was grilled onion cheeseburgers sin the bun and Caesar salad quick and tasty.  My hot shower rocked as I sipped some wine before turning in. Coffee and the last of my banana bread in the morning was comforting as I planed my day looking at the parks map. Getting on my trusted steed Salsa Vaya, I started with the parks scenic trail a winding road through a meadow of slash pines and saw-tooth palmetto, but there was more.

   
     I found other trails leading off into the back woods crossing into ST. Marks Wilderness Refuge and great trails they where.  They where a little more hard packed but no adventure would be complete without muddy ruts tall grass and swampy bogs so large in fact that I had to turn around on many of the trails that were just not passable. It was great to get out riding in the back woods the going was a bit smoother so I was able to increase my speed which I enjoyed (no watch to lose).

     Back at camp I relaxed had a feed and found some time to work on my blog.  I was already planning my next adventure, Blackwater River State Forest along the Florida scenic trail what a beauty.  Pulling out of Ochlockonee River State Park I headed south towards the Gulf to SR30 a beautiful drive along the coast to SR60 then north through two wonderful forests.  Tate's Hell State Forest and Apalachicola National Forest sure looked like a lot to explore, but I was looking to connect to scenic SR20 at Bristol there I headed west to Niceville then north through Elgin Air Force Base a huge chunk of Florida.

   Weather was getting cloudy and I was getting closer to Crestview from there I was on SR4 heading into the Blackwater River Forest.  Dark and rainy I found my GPS pin marking the back way, "Holy Heck". Red mud, deep water filled ruts, off cambered rock steps, wash-outs, rain pouring down I was sliding all over the trail.  Some bog holes were so deep and large that I had to skirt the extreme sides not to fall-in.  Finding my mark after whoop-di do's and a bunch of wombat holes the rain was coming down steady and hard, the ground all around me was a puddle. 

    Sitting in the dark at my intended camp site I was thinking of my next move, I decided to check out the boat launch close bye on a tared road hopping I wasn't sitting in standing water. I found a level high spot, I sat there in wait for the rain to stop or me break down and get a room.  After a hour 1/2 the rain had stopped and I decided to have a beer make camp and see what happens in the morning.

    I awoke to patchy clouds made some coffee and was thinking of going back to my intended camp spot. The rain held back so I went exploring down another turn off and found a fantastic spot overlooking a bend in the river. Made camp and the sun peaked out even more, good-times.

  Spent the day from my perch above the river watching kayak's navigate the bend, hiked a couple of the near by trails leading to different parts of the river.  Listening to the many song birds singing their little hearts out along the way. Tonight's feed BBQ pork chops with steamed broccoli drizzled with EVO my fav.  Morning clouds came and went but in the early afternoon the threat of rain had returned and it was time for me once again to make tracks this time west in to Alabama.

 

  Hope to see you  on the Trail!!.. 

  🚙.....🚲.....