Padre Island TX. 2021

   Traveling south on 87 The Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail exiting the Bolivar Peninsula is Port Bolivar, where a free ferry, ferries you to Galveston.  While waiting for the ferry I was watching ships unload massive wind generator parts, blades, turbines and sections of large mounting pipes, from their hold. Texas renewable energy!!  Once across the cut you land in the middle of the popular beaches of Galveston.  

     Crowded with traffic and people it was like you were at Coney Island, stuff to buy, rides to ride, the smell of sweet greasy foods, booze and beer and tons of sun-burnt Texas tourists.  Taking the busy coastal route the Texas Tropic Trail 87 it was people watching to the 10th power while crawling along in traffic (Mothers Day weekend).  As I drove through places like Jamaica Beach, Follets Island and Surfside Beach the traffic thinned out.  I was headed to Port Lavaca, a sleepy old hippy style enclave known as Magnolia Beach to camp for the night and grab a shower, before pressing on the next day to Padre Island

     Hopping on a second Ferry at Port Aranas I was soon on Mustang Island and headed to my destination.  With provisions and fuel I was entering the National Seashore of Texas, Padre Island.  Over 60 miles long this sand island is home to laughing Gulls and White Pelicans also strewn on the beaches if lucky enough to find Lighting Whelk.  Plus an abundances of other types of creatures, birds. snakes, ghost crabs and plants make Padre Island a go to destination.  A popular appeal is that you can drive on the beach the entire length of this thin sandy island and primitive camp, which is one of many reasons why I came here. 

   The weather was really not ideal the wind was blowing steady at 20-25mph with gusts up to 35+ so it made camping a bit rough.  Just driving on the beach was fantastic the sand was firm most of the way with soft spots you really had to give it some right foot to plow through.  Mile markers at 5 mile increments along the way let you know your location.  At about MM 15 I turned off through the dunes to Yarborough Pass (1/4 mile wide)(the only turn off on the 60 miles of island) to get on the leeward side of the island and hopefully get some shelter from the wind.  Not much better but at least I wasn't getting all the sea mist churned up by the pressing waves and wind.

  Positioning my rig at a angle to block the wind I camped for the night, peaceful as it was I could not help but notice the amount of trash everywhere.  The shore is littered with trash from the sea as well as from the many people who come here for the day or to camp.  I spent some time picking up a bunch more rubbish than I could carry out, so I stacked it neat for some other folks to do their part.  Just a note a lot of the Texas's Gulf shoreline has fallen to huge amounts of rubbish, litter, trash, maritime debris and plastics of all kinds, such a shame.
    The next morning braving the wind I made coffee had a snack and decided to drive back towards Park headquarters to a primitive camp site at Bird Island Basin a favorite for wind surfers.  

Within cell service I worked on my blog, got on my bike, Salsa Vaya for a ride to explore Novillo Line  Camp (historic structures) and enjoy the leeward part of Padre Island.  Camping here was $4 bucks with my Parks pass for the night not bad, a drop toilet near by and the wind seemed not as brutal.

    The next day wind building for a storm, I pulled up stakes and headed off the island through Corpus Christi to get on US 77 south back on the Texas Tropic Trail to Boca Chica State Park and the SpaceX Orbital Launch Pad, Epic!!

 
Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙....🚲....