Potts Preserve, Done and Dusted!

    Potts Preserve 8,500 acres in southwest Florida managed by the Florida Water  Management District offers free camping, back country hiking and equestrian use. This conservation land (District) is to protect water resources and to preserve and restore Florida ecosystem. The property sits along the Withlacoochee River system and is accessible by locked gate.  To gain access you must make a reservation through the WaterMatters.org scroll through the list of properties make a reservation a conformation and gate code will be sent, they really limit how many people enter at a time. This remote property is just outside Inverness FL. 

Arriving at the gate there was about 1/2 dozen locks to choose from a brass lock with the letters REC inscribed on its face was the correct combo.  Entering the Preserve was just as you would picture it dense growth with minimal signage. 

    I pulled up to the primitive camping area where I was assigned, this would be home for two nights, scattered fire pits and picnic tables with a fresh drop toilet in the bushes.  The site was located along the dense growth of the river with a small kayak launch.  I picked a spot that would offer some solar rays as well as shade it was pretty hot the wind was at a minimum and the steamy over growth was keeping the temps high. 

Setting up camp and building a fire somehow I sucked down about 4 beers (they all tasted soo good!) with the sounds of night approaching I made dinner and I guess I gulped a couple more frothys down, it must have been really hot.  The fire was inviting and it was the perfect beginning for getting back on the road to start my 2021 WeOverlander adventures. 

 The morning was all about coffee and some homemade chocolate coconut banana bread I made before leaving Gulfport where I wintered the last 4 months. The preserve is littered with single track trails for hiking and wide soft sandy equestrian trails, I kept to the single track trails with orange colored markers.  I mounted my trusted steed Salsa Vaya and took off into the bush, sandy patches , wombat holes, muddy bogs, large tree roots crossing the trail, fresh dug up earth from feral pigs, concentration and wheel placement was the only way to hold on. The dense over growth hammock was amazing huge twisted old as heck oak trees covered in resurrection fern made up the canopy.  I really pushed myself the whole way it was intense and I loved it. The trail was so consuming that at one point I looked down at my velo-computer and it was gone! Yikes!! I had to back track about a half a mile when I found it laying next to a downed log over the trail I had to negotiate. Yes!

   Continuing on crossing a well decayed foot bridge through a muddy boggy section I was approaching the turn around point.  With a short rest and a little exploring on foot a creepy swampy backwater pond.  I raised my wrist to note the time and "Where's MY Frickin Watch!!" Panicked.  I started searching my every foot step, Holy Heck!!  I started back tracking on foot looking for my favorite watch, searching the trails every twist about 2 miles later and with Heck Yeah! relief there it was.  As if it was just waiting for me in the middle of the trail.  The trail was so intense that the harsh vibrations, ducking of limbs while having branches dragged across your face I did not notice it had fallen off.  The band actually broke from the constant jarring vibrations, boy was I glad to get it back. Two for two!! 

      Feeling literally bushed I was happy to get back on my Vaya and ride back to camp. That's when out of the corner of my eye I saw a very large cat (Florida Panther??) approx 45-60lbs start to run along side of me.  With great speed and a graceful stride it overtook me and hauled-ass past me, it crossed my path about 30ft in front of me as it ran without a sound. The dark brown animal had a large head and was in prime condition its large thick tail had a noticeable bend at the end, OMFG!!  I had one mission get my ass back to camp without any more dramas, what a epic ride.

    Back at camp dinner never tasted so good, seared thick-cut pork loin chops de glazed in beer and steamed broccoli drizzled with EVO.  Sitting in front of the fire grinning from ear to ear listening to the night sounds counting my lucky stars tipping a few frothys while sipping Tequila, Ahhh, life of adventure it doesn't get any better than this...

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..


🚙......🚲........