Rolling into Texas 2021

     Just outside of Pensacola FL. I connected to I-10 and headed west.  It was 67miles until I hit the Mississippi state border the narrowest section of Alabama.  I was being chased by the rain and was hoping I had out ran it when I hit Mississippi which it seemed like I did, or at least I thought I did.  With a late start that day I was searching for camp after a hours driving into Mississippi, an area called Gautier.  Close to the Gulf I found Shepard State Park a small campground on a big 540 acres, the parks office was a 1920 restored log cabin inn, sweet. 
   As darkness approached I was assigned my site and set up camp made a quick dinner then took a needed scrub at the newly remodeled bath house, yes indeed-ee, Nice!!  That's when the rain had caught up to me.  I stepped out of the shower at about 8pm cursing as I ran between the rain drops back to my camp.  Seeking shelter inside my RTT the pounding relentless rain, booming thunder and crazy lightning continued til 11:30am the next morning. 

   Putting away camp in the soaking rain is no party, waiting for my break in the action I quickly and systematically packed my camp trying to not be totally soaked. Yah right!  The tent was being difficult wet and slippery I was doing my best and finally collapsed my RTT without soaking my bedding.  Running around in my chonies and a t-shirt I was wet and sweaty, as I packed-up and headed out of there. 

     Damp in my chonies while windshield wipers flapping time (sounds like a song), I drove west along the southern coast of Mississippi, Biloxi, Gulfport and Long Beach.  Not until I hit Louisiana did I realize that I was still in my chonies (carefully) ordering coffee from a Micky Dee's drive thru. The weather was looking dryer and I was in chase mode for the sun. Half way through the boot the sun was out and shining.  Thirty minutes east of Lafayette I pulled up to a Official State Welcome Center where campers are welcome, sunny I camped for the night to dry out.  This large well cared for facility was clean, safe and secure with restrooms open 24hr.  I picked a spot next to a tree sat back made dinner and had a few frothy's before turning in.

    The next morning with real pants on enjoying my coffee sitting in the sun, I made a fried egg and Asiago cheese brekkie burrito broke camp and headed west to Texas.  I was getting excited to drive on the beach and camp east of Galveston on the Bolivar Peninsula.  With provisions loaded from the local Market Basket I headed to Crystal Beach.  Well it was not as I pictured it, the peninsula was littered with vacation houses I was looking for spots that were not in front of someones backyard.  Although most Texans don't give a hoot on the 21 mile beach.  I soon found a area void of houses and only one other camper, cool.  Lots of day use people so towards the evening it slimmed out pretty well.

   The weather was excellent light breeze warm temps clear skies it felt great. One thing I didn't realize is that it was Mothers Day weekend, I was not alone!   By Saturday night the weather had deteriorated the wind kicked up considerably and the crowds started to come, Yikes!!  A rough night in the RTT with the howling wind and rain plus the growing crowd a late night of loud music and people getting banged-up for Mom, Hee Haw!

   Sunday came and it was a bit overcast but the wind was still blowing, I decided to brush off the sand and pull stakes, I was heading further down the Gulf coast to Padre Island.


 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙.....