Big Bend National Park, TX. 2021

     Stumbling my way west out of Brownsville through small towns on US 281 I had a heck of a lot of Texas in front of me before I dropped into Big Bend National Park.  My first stop was at Falcon Dam City Park and Campground, on the Rio Grande. Remnant of labor camps that built the Falcon Dam (Mexican owned) back in the 40-50's.  Free you can stay as long as you like.  Pretty good deal considering, hot water for showers, water tap at each site, wash machine, fridge space and electricity available for "free 99" small vegetable and herb patch as well.  I stayed for 3 nights rode my bike and explored the old unkempt border town where teams of migrant workman lived and worked years ago. 

 Falcon Heights is a major or was a major Rio Grande bird watchers destination one of the top 5 in the world. Since then the tourists go south to the small town of Roma where trips and accommodations are staged.

     Accelerating out of Falcon Heights I noticed the slight hint of coolant smell and didn't think to much of it.  Later the smell was back and I was on the side of the road diagnosing the odor.  A small leak was obvious but where I decided to keep driving till a town with a Toyota dealership was located.  I inspected the leak again and noticed the drops are coming from the the top water tank (plastic) on the radiator that's a no fix, needs replacement.

     Del Rio had everything I needed a Toyota dealership a airport and a empty state park campground just a few miles away.  It was Sunday I made camp cooked cheese burgers with grilled onions, blue cheese and steamed broccoli while tossing a few frothy's I was feeling better about my current situation.  With a game plan in place I broke camp headed over to Toyota of Del Rio got a real super great deal on a new OME part and it would be in my hands before noon the next day, what, "done deal JIM".  NAPA auto parts recommended a good guy to install it, with that said and done the total cost was less than the MSRP of the radiator alone and less than a 24hr turn around.  How good was that!


      Back on the road I crossed the mighty Pecos River as I drove west towards Big Bend National Park.  The drive was hot as I got deeper into the desert region the trail turned from Texas Tropical Trail to the Texas Mountain Trail.  Pulling up late in the day the BBNP park office was closed and I needed a back-country permit so I camped outside the park at Stillwell Store and RV park.  As I arrive I get my first glimpse of a Mexican Black Bear.   Big eared he was fair size not huge one white rear paw he ran along side the rig looking for his way back through the bushes and the fencing wire.  Pretty cool, I stopped and he just looked back with the fur of his big ears glowing in the sun.  Scrambling through the fence he takes one last look at me and disappears into the bush.

     Morning coffee and a shower, so NICE! I was headed for Panther Junction the BBNP park's office to apply for my back country permit.  A young professional ranger made the process painless, filed the proper permit and off I went. 

 
  First night was at the Gravel Pits I had time so I took a tour of parts of the park that where paved before going off road.  The Hot Springs next to the Gravel Pits was closed, which is what I wanted to visit, oh well  I have 4 nights of camping and exploring in the desert.



   From the Gravel Pits my next camp spot is Fresno a really cool place located across from an abandon Quicksilver mine.

   But first a little detour on Glen Springs Road to Black Gap a rugged 4wd track that has you white knuckling the wheel in 4-lo the whole way.  Skirtin and scraping as you navigate the multiple obstacles on this challenging track. 


       The next night was at Buenos Aires camp located on a mesa overlooking the Rio Grande and into Santa Elena, MX. this was my favorite spot.  The morning light against the protruding rock face the leafy green trees below rustling, singing birds riding thermals catching morning brekkie cloud formations and a soft breeze it was the most peaceful morning of my entire trip so far," Epic!" if  I say so myself.

 

  I visited Santa Elena Canyon before moving on to my last camp in BBNP.  Hoping to get some ice at the little ranger store next to the canyon, sold out!  No worries after a short hike in the canyon I headed over to camp Ocotillo Grove. 



 This spot offered a natural shelter from the wind because of it being set back.  Here I stoked up the BBQ and grilled a rib eye steak with blue cheese salad and a bottle of 7 Deadly Sins. "Holy Heck that was crackin good!!"


   What a great way to wrap up this BBNP adventure I love this place and will return not just here but also Big Bend Ranches State Park right next door.


Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙.......