Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico 2021

    It was time to get out of Texas and head north to New Mexico's Carlsbad Caverns.  The road 170 along the US and Mexico's twisting Rio Grande border is a beautiful scenic drive with a plethora of pullouts to stunning majestic views.  After re-stocking of provisions, water and petrol in the border town of Presidio TX (see previous post 12/17/2019 "San Juanito Mexico to the USA border"),  I was headed north on 67 to Marfa, then on 90 to Van Horn connecting to 54 Pine Springs and the Guadalupe Mountains National Park

    Pine Springs Campground is designed more for walk-in ground tents and RV's, but with a little jockeying I made my RTT work and camped comfortably at 5800k for the night.  Fire fighters ready for a hike flooded the area in the morning, coordinated by a support helicopter eye in the sky for flare ups and jumping flames, precautionary measures when dealing with a federal park even when the hot spot was not within park boundaries. 

    I jumped back on the 54 heading north; the New Mexico border was just ahead and Carlsbad Caverns right down the road.  There was a scenic drive up to the park's modern main entrance, wiith tons of parking and no lines, and I walked up got a self-guided tour ticket (free with my senior park pass) and I headed to the natural entrance of the caverns to explore the big room.  The size of the caverns is incredible. Self-guided tours are 2.5 hrs and cover over 2 miles of underground trail.  
   With each twist and turn, you walk through room after room, ducking into tunnels between chambers. Soft lighting guides your way and the air temp stays steady at 56.  Using the hand rail is a must in most sections as it stops you from falling over while cocking your head back to take it all in.  "Trying to get a pic underground in a cave for me has always been disastrous and this time is no different.... yikes!"

    Leaving the park with the sun was still up, I turned on to Walnut Canyon Desert Drive a 10-mile scenic drive through Rattlesnake Canyon.  Back out to the main road 180, I turned north to CR720 searching for camp on BLM land.  Spotting several camps with fire rings, I found a site at the crest of the hill looking east over the plains.  In the darkness, a haunting psychedelic lightning show electrified the night sky as it slowly crept across the horizon. Kicking back with a couple of cold frothies, I was front row center.

  After morning coffee, I broke camp and turned on to the I-285 turn-off. I was headed north to the high country and Three Rivers Petroglyphs.



Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙.......