SpaceX, Boca Chica State Park, TX 2021

 

      I've been following SpaceX for sometime now and I'm amazed at their continued iconic advancements in Space Rocketry Technology.  The main reason for traveling through Texas and to Boca Chica State Park, is to see for myself the Orbital Launch Facility and Production Site for Superheavy.   I also wanted to witness first hand a Sub-Orbital launch of SN15.


   However I did miss the launch, dang!, but to see standing the first Sub-Orbital Rocket SN15 to successfully launch and land up-right under its own power without a rapid dis-assembly event is "Epic" in itself, "Nominal" as quoted by Elon Musk.  What a crazy iconic milestone for the advancement of space travel. 

   SN15 was scarred with heat streaks from re-entry a few heat tiles missing but there it was, standing, a technological highly advanced accomplishment attached to "TankZilla" (one of many enormous cranes on site) as scientists and engineers scourer over every detail of data SN15 will provided for future missions. 

  Since this post SN15 has been moved to Launch Table "B" and then removed, transported back to the production site.  SN16 equipped with more updates and technological data enhancements from SN15, assuming it will be the next Sub-Orbital launch vehicle.  Perhaps the first to re-launch and to advance the re-usable rocket technology, "Nice!"

   The SpaceX facility is located right on the edge of Boca Chica State Park where you can drive and camp on the beach in fact it is right next to the Mexican border.  After watching and taking pics of the two SpaceX facilities I headed for the beach to locate a camp site. Well you guessed it the wind was blowing and the weather was getting cloudy with the threat of rain.   

 (SN15 shot with my binoculars and phone camera,)  Finding a spot with a bluff behind me, a viewing platform for the launch facility and the production site further out.  I made camp and cracked a frothy cheering to my pilgrimage to SpaceX.

 Before heading here to SpaceX on Boca Chica State road you go through Brownsville a growing border town with benefits from the many 100's of people that SpaceX  employs and funding Elon Musk provides to schools and communities.  Not only scientists, engineers, mathematicians and other tech jobs but the local construction workers and laborer are being employed as well.  Trucking in parts is constant and the 20 mile road to the SpaceX property can get busy..

 

    That night the weather was getting worse, rain and wind made me retreat to my RTT early for the evening, after munching on a rotisserie chicken (I bought in town) and a couple more frothy's. The next morning was a bit better and I was wondering if I was going to stay on the beach again weather permitting, it did not.  So I broke camp and parked outside the gates of SpaceX to watch the days progress on SN15 and the building of a massive second crane (red and yellow) "Franken Crane", (now built and operational) larger with the weight and height capacity to lift Superheavy.  

Hanging out like a groupie I met other SpaceX enthusiasts who were giving interviews and recording events of the construction yard.  I was totally content sitting there watching a bit of history in the making.

    With the wind picking up again and rain in the forecast for tonight I decided to get a room in town grab a good shower work on my blog and find something Texas to eat. The shower was great the Wifi was weak and the Texas burger was tasty but greasy (the room kinda sucked).  I made camp coffee in my room the next morning and checked out spying a laundromat I did some wash and found some tasty soft tacos. 


  Returning to SpaceX for the day I watched as things were getting done huge parts were moved trucks being offloaded with crane parts and machinery moved here and there.  Even a peek at SN16 in the High Bay the newest craft with all the latest modifications to be launched next.

 I was hoping to see (blue and white) "TankZilla" crane put SN15 on the Lunch Table but that was for another day. Wanting to stay a few more days but, with the weather forecast getting even more bleak, I decided to move on and not camp on the beach or pay for another night in a some-what shitty not-so cheap hotel.


Back on the Texas Tropic Trail to dry out I was headed for Big Bend National Park to wild camp and a bit of 4 wheeling.

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙...🚀....