Canyon de Chelly National Monument, 2021

       From Shiprock NM I was headed south on FR491. Driving through the Navajo Indian Reservation I was searching for TR13 (Tribal Road) that cuts through Canyon de Chelly National Monument.  Navigating this part of the reservation requires you to keep checking your GPS route the lack of signage and clear marked trails has you guessing. 
      I'm sure its by design to keep the numbers of outsiders from over running this sacred corner of the the Navajo Indian Reservation.  Once you get your bearings straight, driving through this peaceful land you get a glimpse of ancient life set out by the Navajos who lived, farmed and hunted here so long ago.
 

     Where I ended up and where I wanted to go are two different places.  Ending up on SR284 I clearly missed my mark, Bugger!!  The entrance to the Canyon was just a short detour away to the town of Chinle, the gate keeper for the monument.  Entering the Canyon I was on TR7 the southern rim spur that leads to the only open campground, of the two on Reservation land (no dispersed camping on Reservation land). 


 It was getting late in the day and I was in search of camp at Spider Rock Campground.  Lots of spots to choose from I found a flat site and set up camp in the long golden shadows of the sun. 

 
    Locate in northeastern Arizona, Canyon de Chelly National Monument is actually closed due to the Navajo Nation State of Emergency Order, but the north and south paved rim spurs are open. Taking in the powerful scenic overlooks on the rim drive gives you a sense of the prominent features like Spider Rock 800ft tall rock spire, looming sandstone cliffs surrounding a verdant canyon. The area is dotted with Tribal rock art, ruins and the remains of ancient Pueblo villages. 

    Looking into the Canyon de Chelly tells a story of the people who still live here and have been for 5000+ years, longer than anyone has lived uninterrupted anywhere on the Colorado Plateau. 

   From here I travel north to the Valley of the Gods, Utah.



Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........