New Mexico High Country, 2021

         Pulling out of Santa Rosa State Park I was heading west on I-40 to connect to CR285 north to Santa Fe, NM.  I stopped in Santa Fe for provisions, fuel and a quick look around.  With Traffic moving in all directions I continued north to Chimayo and connected to a very scenic CR76 a drive that takes me to the high country and towards Taos
      I was looking for camp on the Pot Creek Forest Rd in the Carson National ForestPot Creek Forest Rd was just ahead as I slowed down to turned on to the dirt track shifting into 4wd.  The road twists and turns crossing Pot Creek with well marked pullout campsites, (mostly all taken).  I spied a small site and with some TLC (Toyota Land Cruiser) it fit my rig just fine.  
      With Pot Creek rushing along side my camp, the cadence of the water was soothing and relaxing in the late afternoon.  Chilling a few tinnies of beer in the cold flowing creek, I was rustling-up a feed and getting settled in for the night.  Camped at about 7900ft I had my "little Buddy Heater" in my tent, I wasn't going to freeze another night.  Warm and toasty in my RTT sleep came fast and then the morning sun was up.

    After brekkie I pulled up stakes and headed north on US518.  Driving through Taos I connected to US64 a fantastic mountainous road that stretches through the Carson National Forest.  The road headed north up and around Eagle Nest Lake a high elevation State Park and the town of Eagle Nest.  Climbing through the mountain pass winding along the Cimarron River there were pullouts for fly-fishing, picnicking and hiking. 
       Following US64 north I was soon in familiar Trinidad CO., getting fuel, provisions and a little 420 for snake bites.  I washed my rig got a bite to eat and headed west on SR12 looking for a camp site on Purgatoire rd, North Lake SWA area, near Monument Lake.  
        I found a secluded spot among the aspens and set-up next to a swift running river an off-shoot of the North Fork Purgatoire River.  Camping at 8900ft the night promises to be cold, "little Buddy Heater" to the rescue.

    After morning coffee I was driving on SR12 looking for SR160 west to Fort Garland, from there I pointed south to New Mexico and the Carson National ForestSR159 cuts west then south to Arroyo Honda where I picked-up US64 to Tres Piedras.  A dispersed camping area in the CNF next to 3 climbing rock faces called Tres Piedras (3 rocks).  Plenty of room for camping the high elevation area (8700ft) had multiple campers mostly rock climbers, I managed a spot with some privacy and made camp. 

     Moving on the next morning I was planning on cutting through the Jicarilla Apache Indian Reservation to do a little 4 wheeling.  My plan was to go through the reservation and drop down into CNF.  Unfortunately the trails leading to CNF were blocked and I had to snake my way back down to the main hwy to enter the NF, but not before I had approached a gate that read "No Trespassing", Yikes!....  I was glad it was not locked or I would have had to back-track 50 miles of dirt and rock. 

 
     Leaving the Jicarilla Apache Indian Reservation, just past Vaquero Cabin on US64 was my turn off to enter the Carson National Forest and search for a back country campsite.  Surrounded by a green canopy I parked on a large flat pullout and made a cozy camp. 

     In the morning I would get back on US64 and head towards Farmington and Shiprock before crossing into Arizona and Canyon de Chelly National Monument.



Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........