Valley of The Gods, UT 2021

      Running on pavement I was passing through the town of Mexican Water heading north to White Rock Point to connect to SR163.  Shifting into 4wd I was feeling excited to camp in The Valley of The Gods.  The 17 mile gravel/dirt road and sometime off-cambered rocky steps winds through the Valley of endless sandstone buttes, sky-scraping pinnacles and wide open spaces.  
The Valley is on BLM land and is open to hiking, backpacking and camping or just plain exploring.  Wheeling the vast landscape has a remote isolated feeling, Valley of The Gods is a alter to get away from it all.  This hidden gem is similar to the amazing Monument Valley but without the tribal land restrictions. 
    Navigating the track through the Valley I soon found a wide open campsite away from the dusty road and leveled my rig.  With the temps running high, I was done driving for the day as I cracked open a frothy sat in my chair and watched the color of the sun change in the Valley's prehistoric shadows.  Letting my mind wander it was a reflection on what a short time we have on this earth and getting away from everything associated in today's modern life.  Camping under a campfire ban it was tacos carnitas and guacamole for dinner, satiated I sat and watched the night skies glitter to life with a zillion stars as the Milky Way stretched-out across the cosmos.  Epic!!


      There was no rush in the morning; while making coffee I hiked around the arroyo and watched birds chatter about, listening to the sounds of the Valley as it wakes-up like it has for eons.  Brekkie was chorizo and eggs with corn tortillas, I'd say it was a pretty good, god-darn start of the day.  

     Breaking camp I had at least 10 miles of scenic dirt track yet to go before SR261 and The Moki Dugway on the western end of the Valley.  The Moki Dugway is a dirt track with a crazy set of butt-clinching, seat-soiling switchbacks climbing up the cliff face connecting SR261 to the top of Cedar Mesa (el 6425), Whoa!

      Once on top I was heading north to CR95 past Natural Bridges National Mon. to Hanksville.  Driving on CR95 is not unlike many of the twisting scenic roads in UtahFry Canyon, Jacobs Chair, Hog Spring and Poison Spring Canyon to name a few.  I was pulling into Hanksville for fuel and eats as the day was getting on.  

Back on the road I'm pointed west on CR24 to Capital Reef National Park Campground in Fruita.  I had no luck as all the sites were taken, but the helpful camp host was able to direct me to some dispersed BLM camping near-by, although I knew of a few spots I was up for going to a unfamiliar site.

     Heading west on CR24 I spied the turnoff before the town of Torrey as instructed by the CRNPCG camp host.  I found a wonderful secluded sandy spot along a moving river and just in time as the sun was slipping below the horizon. The soothing sound of the flowing water was welcomed as I soaked my feet in the chilled river, splashing around I was enjoying a refreshing wet frolic to cut the days dust.

   In the morning I pulled up stakes and headed south on CR12 through The Cockscomb and the Grand Canyon. 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........ Authors note; This is my 100th post I hope you have enjoyed the journey as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you,  please share my blog and Thanks for smashing the follow button. Cheers!