Grand Canyon to Cottonwood AZ. 2021

    "I want to thank everyone who has clicked on and followed WeOverlander adventures.  My latest post  "Valley of the Gods UT 2021" (07.27.21) was my 100th blog post or as I like to think, adventures I have shared with you."                                      Thank You, for your support, Cheers!

       Its been about three 3years on the road and I enjoyed every mile but the miles don't always come easy.  This particular part of my adventure was plagued by computer failure, my computer just stopped, a rapid shut down NO REBOOT....... Okay now what!  All my blog work is stuck in limbo in the only laptop I have, while traveling in a remote area.  Do I call it short and go consumer or do I stay bush and keep the adventure going,..... Go bush Legends.  As a blogger losing the use of your laptop is one thing, you can still make do without it, but your phone well that can be very limiting.  I use my phone for all the pics so it's a invaluable tool I have for bringing this blog to life.  By the time I was headed south on SR12 towards the Cockscomb and Page AZ. my phone was not taking a charge, Yikes!  Now that I'm having phone issues as well it makes you re-think your route.  After inspection of my phone and my present location I decided to stay bush, the biggest downside is the void of pics due to a lack of charging current to the phone's battery.  Bugger!!


       The Cockscomb is a range of mountains in southern Utah in the Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument sitting on a diagonal track north to south.  Along the dirt track the idyllic landscape has your head turning viewing the abundant dispersed camping railed along the fold of the dry Cottonwood Creek bed, (epic sites for sure).  I found a secluded spot tucked along the dry creek bed as I turned off on a short 4WD off-cambered track depositing me to my site.  After a couple of wheel lifts my sure footed rig was resting level and I quickly plugged in my phone.  It seems that my phone will only accept a charge when it is not moving in a car so I have to stay parked longer to get my phone to charge.  The other part is that it takes forever to charge, the most I'm getting is like 35% for all night charge!!  So when I'm on the move I'll turn off my phone to save any battery I have for a epic shot or an emergency. 

    Pressing on I headed south through Page AZ. and over to and through the Grand Canyon.  Driving in Arizona is as scenic as it gets, traveling down the long roadways the dramatic distant horizons are endless and ever-changing in color.  Continuing south I'm on the less traveled Hopi Tribal Road 20 cutting through the Hopi Indian Reservation.  I was pulling into The Gap and connecting to FR89 to make the turnoff to SR64 and to the southern entrance to the Grand CanyonSR64 takes you on a scenic tour of the overlooks stretched across the southern rim of the Grand CanyonFR180 takes you south out of the Grand Canyon Village and drops you into Flagstaff.  Cruising through Flagstaff I filled up on fuel, provisions, some tasty Southwest eats and snake-bite medicine (not just for medicinal purposes, if you catch my drift!).

     Leaving Flagstaff I was on FR3 heading to Mormon Lake area where there is plenty of dispersed camping.  Stumbling on a epic site in a large open wooded prairie I setup camp and plugged my plagued phone in. 

      A late afternoon snooze in the hammock will take the worry out of anyone, Excellent!!  Dinner was easy that night a couple of tasty homemade burritos (bean & cheese w/carnitas) that I picked up in town before heading out, combined with a few cold frothies, how good is that!  Packing up in the AM I was looking for a shower, Dead Horse Ranch State Park outside of Cottonwood was just the ticket.  This park is usually one of the busiest in the state park system of Arizona, feeling lucky they still had plenty of dry camping spots available.  The park has all the amenities like, hiking, biking and horse rental and trails, fishing in the chain of lakes, washers & dryers, full hook-ups for RV's plus really nice hot showers. Yay!! 

     Perched on a mesa I was overlooking the town of Cottonwood and the valley it's sitting in, the distance mountain side you can make-out the historical town of Jerome and all its ghostly lore. Out for a bike ride my trusty steed Salsa Vaya and I pedaled around the lakes hit some dirt trails and huffed up the hilly terrain. By now my phone was not getting enough charge so it was turned off most of the time.

      Breaking camp I was traveling through the Prescott Valley on SR69.  Taking on some 4wd tracks navigating through the Prescott National Forest, I was making my way over to Kirkland Junction to find some dispersed camping.  The dusty wind was kicking up the next morning so I decided to make a run for it to Joshua Tree National Park to meet up with a buddy and do a little 4-wheeling back country exploring.

 From here on out my phone was virtually useless due to the lack of charge it was taking, I need a new phone!!


 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........