Checking Your Rig, 2021

      After every trip it's important to check your rig and kit, address any repairs or failures and to take the time to maintain the effected areas in question.  Each adventure has its own set of parameters to watch out for within your kit and rig.  My last expedition was a 5-day overland trip through some of the most harshest environment.  Record breaking temps, dust, corrugations, trail hazards, plus remote off-grid travel can take its toll on your gear, that is why it's so important to keep abreast of your kit.  Whats working, whats failing, what needs to be added.  Being a full-time remote traveler I have to keep a constant look out for a overweight vehicle, be properly loaded (weight distribution), not to accumulate items shedding unwanted vehicle weight.  Weight is a important factor when overlanding, keeping your kit fit is what makes your adventure all the more sweet.  

     Returning from my last adventure I was certain that a few items needed my attention and I would be ready to be back on the trail once more.  Brakes were at the top of my list, rear rotors worn needed  replacement, brake pads replaced all around, front rotors turned, new front bearing grease seals both sides and inner and outer wheel bearings on passenger side.

     In addition to the work described, I also was told that my upper ball joints (UBJ) were bad, weird the uppers are fairly new and should have lasted a lot longer.  Getting on the horn to the manufacturer SPC they were as shocked to find out about the worn UBJ.  Under warranty they sent me out a fresh pair.  What could have caused the UBJ failure I was told that the passenger side was worn more than the driver side. Thinking back I can only speculate as to what has gone wrong to account for premature wear of UBJs.  


   Taking a good once over on my rig and kit their was something more ominous lurking.  To my surprise as I was checking over every corner of my rig, the RTT had slipped forward about +3" along the roof rack rails, WHAT!!....  NOT GOOD!....  This is a issue I must address immediately, calling on my brother and a good friend to help me place my RTT in the right position and totally secure it, is of critical importance.

   With help I spent the afternoon repositioning and securing my RTT properly to the my roof rack, it had been secured to my rig for the last 3yrs so what had happened.  Traveling through the Mojave Desert that's what happen (see previous post 09/14/21 Jumping on The Historic Mojave Trail Rd).  I had not notice the RTT sliding forward while traveling through the Mojave.  I did notice the rig handling a little differently, thinking, perhaps shocks heating up. 

    Thinking back here is what I feel had happened when I traveled through The Mojave.  The violent up and down motion I experienced not seeing that set of moguls,  thrashed my rig about and whipped my RTT forward enough to slide +3".  Pinching off one of the roof rack's beauty cover (lost beauty cover) I was lucky the RTT did not break away from the roof rails.  And to think, was the thrashing up and down motion enough to damage my UBJ, bearings?...thinking..... 

   With new UBJ's installed and a wheel alignment from Bear Frame and Wheel (the best) I was soon back on the road ready to hit the trail.  Feeling confidant that my rig has been corrected, I can now wheel safely and ready for my next adventure!


 

 Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙......