Summer Expedition, 2021

     Taking stock of my kit, I take note of items needed and prepare my rig for a extended summer overlanding expedition.  Required repairs and replaced worn parts demand my attention as my rig is now fit and ready for the next adventure.  This expedition is a seven-week epic overlanding tour through some of the most scenic northern states and then looping back down and around through the southwest.  With a final check on my kit and rig, feeling confidant, I'm ready to embark on my extended northern summer tour and overlanding adventure, as I leave the SoCal area.  

     My starting point is in California in the San Gabriel Mountains and the San Bernardino National Forest.  Above San Bernardino at about 6500ft next to Big Bear is a little rural mountain town called Running Springs.   Packed, rested and armed with a exciting travel plan, I leave the Big Bear area on SR18 and head into the desert.  

     Cutting through the Rodman Mountains Wilderness Area on Camp Rock Rd the rocky off-cambered dirt track snakes through the hills as I approach Newberry Springs and continue to Amboy and the Amboy Crater.

    Volcanic rock dominates the landscape hurled from the ancient lava flow that cooled thousands of years ago. The jet black rock against the shifting light colored sand settling into the cracks of the earth, gives the terrain its lunar definition.  The further I head east towards the crater the volcanic rock becomes more and more abundant.  

   My first stop is at the Amboy Crater, it last erupted 10k years ago this extinct cinder cone volcano is located in the eastern Mojave Desert with a lava field covering more than 70-square-kilometers. 

    Just down the road is Amboy the town, founded in 1883 the town has gone through much change with stories of ghosts, lost or missing people and unearthed mutilated bodies.  Since 1976 I-40's new route has bypassed Amboy causing a declining population to 4 people that live and run this all but deserted tiny desert town called Amboy.

       From Amboy heading east on Route 66 I get to my first of many road closures.  Detouring north to I-40 I continue east to Nevada making a beeline out of CA and its high gas prices ($4.99gal).  Crossing the state line I head to Topock to fill up on AZ gas ($2.89gal).  Pointed north on SR10 I cross I-40 and jump on SR147 to look for camp outside of Kingman AZ in the Hualapai Mountains.  Finding a wonderful spot to myself to camp, It sure is fantastic to be back in the wilderness.

      Taking US93 the Great Basin Hwy out of Kingman AZ the scenery is beautiful.  Heading north past Las Vegas NV on US93 delivers me to the Panranagat National Wildlife Refuge.  With two lakes along the Great Basin Hwy I choose the upper Panranagat Lake sporting a commanding view of the lake and empty campsites, Yay!  Making camp on the shore of the lake I was solar poised for the AM.  Settling into my campsite sipping a frothy and taking-in the setting sun, I heard the sounds of fish splashing while the wildlife scurries about in preparation for the evening.

     Tomorrow I head to Ely NV and Utah making my way north to Idaho, Wyoming and South Dakota before looping around south through Nebraska, Colorado and then back through Utah and Arizona, a whole lot to explore!

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........   Authors note; Summer Expedition, 2021 starts a series of adventures from my latest journeys, buckle-up and enjoy the ride!