Summer Expedition Badlands National Park, 2021 series

      Traveling through Buffalo Gap it was easy not to get lost. I took a left turn at Fall River and headed north on SR79Buffalo Gap was on my way east to the Badlands National Park.  Soon I would be cutting through the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and some of the nation's idyllic grasslands, (see previous post, 11.23.21 Summer Expedition South Dakota, 2021 series)

    Sheep Mountain Table and the Sheep Mountain Overlook was just ahead surrounded by the largest mixed-grass prairie Buffalo Gap National Grasslands.  Shifting into 4WD the scenery was nothing short of epic, void of human noise I navigated through twisted rutted off-cambered dirt trails.  Parking my rig on the edge of what seemed as a inhospitable canyon for a bite to eat I was amazed to think this land has supported human life for over 11,000 years.

    It seems as though the grasslands go on forever, once sprawled across one-third of North America now a patch work of remnant native grasslands (represents a million years of changing conditions).   Bighorn sheep and Pronghorn among others roam, grazing on the 60 species of nutrient rich grass.  I slowed down to a crawl to watch the iconic sights.  Heading north towards Scenic on CH589 I couldn't help myself as I kept a keen eye out for wilderness, plants and geological formations. 

    Connecting to SH44 I was heading to Sage Creek Rd looking for camp at Sage Creek Campground the only camping in the area, no dispersed camping on the reservation.  Packed in like sardines it was a dusty parking circle with a curb some well worn dirt and a bunch of prairie dogs.  Totally not my scene (except for the prairie dogs, funny to watch) if it wasn't so late I would have pushed on, (as it turned out I slept in my drivers seat instead of my RTT I wasted no time in leaving in the am).  

    The morning was cloudy and damp with a threat of rain and I was on the trail before the herd of tourist made their way on too the main road traversing through the Badlands National Park.  Good thing as it turned out I was able to see more game before they were scared away.  Bighorn sheep on the side of the road as well as huge Bison slowly grazing before the overcast skies had a chance to burn off.  Cruising through the park it felt great to be part of the so-called emptiness being the only one on the road.  Each pull-out was a incredible view of an endless supernatural world of geological landscape and native wildlife.  Many of the sheep were tagged and collared with radio tracking devices marking their movements.  Reintroduced Bison, Bighorn sheep and Black-footed ferrets have once again taken their place and added influence to the northern prairies

   Overlook after overlook the Badlands are really Bad-ass-lands along the loop road are picnic areas like Big Foot Pass to take a break from the bigger than life "mako sica" Lokota for Badlands Wilderness Area

   The 60 million year old Fossil Exhibit trail was a great way to stretch your legs (dopey me forgot my phone in the car), by this time the masses caught up to me and I was moving on to the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site visitors center, to watch a well done film on growing up in the 60's with the threat of nuclear advancement at their back door, (interesting for sure!).

    Heading back into the Badlands I was traveling west along SH44 the southern loop road as delicately banded color mountain formations came to view what a awesome sight.  Making it off the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation I was back in the Black Hills National Forest looking for camp. 

     In the morning I was pointed south to Nebraska and the Toadstool Geologic Park in search of really old Toadstool.

 Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙....... 

Answer to last weeks trivia question; What was Tonto's horses name?, Scout.