Summer Expedition Devils Tower NM, 2021 series

    Pulling up to a stop sign I found myself smack-dab in Leiter, Joe's Place Motel/Cafe/Bar & Jewelry hanging a left on to SR14 the Devils Tower National Monument was even closer now.  Open grassy prairies with grazing wildlife reveal a stark contour that makes the Tower's upthrust that more dramatic. "There are things in nature that engender an awful quiet in the heart of man; Devils Tower is one of them."  N. Scott Momaday   

    The 60 million year old rock formation is 867ft tall at 5112ft elev. with a summit width 180 x 300ft and getting here has been an epic adventure. (see previous post 11.09.21 Summer Expedition Wyoming, 2021 series)  I always wanted to see this place and was so excited to get my first look, I had to pull-over and let my brain catch-up.  

    Looking into the mid-afternoon sun, I was trying to get a look at the ancient magma gargantuan rock but my vision was struggling obscured by the blazing warm light.  Closer I got the harder it was to view I just had to stop, get out and find a vantage point.  I was in the shadows of Bear Lodge one of the many American Indian names for the Devils Tower named by Col. Richard Dodge in 1875, Holy Heck!! This place has got my attention 110%.  Wow!! 


     I can't wait to explore the butte but first things first, staying in the park I needed to secure a campsite.  With only a few first come first serve sites available I found a wonderful spot across from a open field.  In the 1930's the Civilian Conservation Corps. (CCC) built the camping facilities and the log structures on the monument's grounds they also built the Tower Trail and roads within the park.  Breaking out the grill for dinner it was steak and salad with a bottle of red, reveling in the moment savoring every bite, I was loving my spirited overland lifestyle. 

      Morning coffee was keen as I pulled up stakes and headed to the Tower Trail trailhead for a hike around Bear Lodge.  Rising up against the the sky millions of years of erosion exposed the turgid  magma pinnacle that was forced into sedimentary rock and fractured into columns.  The Belle Fourche River carved most of the landscape that exposed Devils Tower.  In the 1700's French fur trappers named it the "pretty fork river".  Rich in history there is no lack of wildlife or diversity, rolling grasslands merging into established Black Hills pine forest, Spectacular!!!

    On July 4th 1893 history was once again made when Rogers and Ripley climbed to the top with the help of a ladder, (the ladder is still visible today).  Today at least 5000 people a year climb this epic symbol on about 220 different routes.  In 1906 Devils Tower was named our first National Monument making Wyoming host to 3 of our nations firsts; National Monument, National Park 1872 (Yellowstone NP) and National Forest 1891 (Shoshone National Forest), Dammmmm!!!

       Parking my rig at the trailhead lot, I was trying to time my hike in between groups of other hikers.  Soon I was wandering along the trail in awe and without a crowd of people what a absolutely beautiful afternoon.  Each side unmasks another place in time as parts of the scared rock's mass is carved deep into the fractured formation. 

     After hiking the 2.5 mile Tower Trail I headed for a scenic road to find a spot to have a tailgate lunch and chill in the sun.  Pleasantly surprised I found a grassy knoll front and center to the tower's western side.  Feeling such a good vibe from this place I decided to stay another night with plenty of campsites available to choose, it was another incredible day experiencing a overland adventure while exploring the state of Wyoming.

     My Summer Expedition series continues as I head into the Black Hills of South Dakota.


 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........