Summer Expedition South Dakota, 2021 series

     Traveling east from Devils Tower I was entering South Dakota's Black Hills, mixed pine forest and ancient petrified rock, I could easily see why its called the Black Hills. From Belle Fourche on SR34 I turned south on US85 to Spearfish but before I did the scenery was incredible, pristine rivers carved a path along the road was worthy of stopping to take in the sights. 

   Taking my time it was the first time I ever stepped foot in South Dakota.  I wanted to camp near Mt Rushmore and get a early start.  I connected to FSR205 and cruised through little towns like Mystic and Rochford, I couldn't help but rubberneck the whole way.  Soon I found a dirt trail that ticked all the boxes, venturing down the trail I found a beautiful place to camp. 

  With daylight to spare I explored the area on foot.  Amazing majestic pines, ancient rock that looked like fractured petrified wood.  Camp was scenic and peaceful with comfortable temps for the night, I pulled up stakes in the morning and headed to Mt Rushmore.

    Weather holding it was a clear sunny day as I pulled into Mt Rushmore National Memorial, first impressions; a lot smaller in scale than I expected, the entrance was more like a huge mall parking structure and $10. bucks to park.  I decided to take a couple of snaps as I passed it by.  There was a pull-out around the bend when leaving and you get a fantastic profile shot of George Washington, to be honest that was the best part.  Moving on I also wanted to check out Crazy Horse Monument again another disappointment $15 per to drive down a pristine entrance way to a unfinished carving, No Thanks.  I guess Devils Tower was hard to beat, (see previous post 11.16.21 Summer Expedition Devils Tower NM, 2021 series).

    Driving through the busy little town of Custer for fuel and ice I met up with Dino the Dinosaur and made my way to Wind Cave National Park.  Pleasantly surprised this cave system is out of control. Missing the last tour of the day I doubled back passing Prairie Dog Town and found camp at Elk Mountain Campground.  In the morning I signed up for the next Natural Entrance Tour at Wind Cave NP.   The ranger who gave the tour was excellent and provided a great experience as our group explored a natural cave environment. 

   Although my snaps don't do this cave justice there are so many formations I had not seen before including "Boxwork".  Wind Cave has more Boxwork than is found in all other caves on Earth combined.  Cris-crossing fins of calcite covering the cave's ceiling and walls, Stunning!  The story of the Cave itself is as stunning.  The Lokota, people emerged from the spirit world to the Earth's surface through a passageway called Maka Oniye "breathing earth" or Wind Cave.  People were to wait in the spirit world until Earth was ready for them. 

   Meanwhile back on the surface the surrounding area is as gorgeous as it gets.  Beautiful grassy prairies filled with Bison, Pronghorn, Elk, Black-footed ferrets, Burrowing owls, Coyotes, Western meadowlarks, Hairy woodpeckers, Ponderosa pine and of course those comical Prairie dogs among a few. Leaving the park I was making contact with my first Bison up close.  What a  massive creature!

      Heading south on US395 I found camp at Kemo Sabay Campground the wild west is alive and well, "Hi-Yo Silver! Away!".  In the morning I was heading to Buffalo Gap and the Badlands National Park.


 

 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙.......

"Trivia: what was Tonto's horses name? answer next weeks blog post!"