Summer Expedition Wyoming, 2021 series


     How do you top two epic National Parks back to back, you don't.  Heading across Wyoming from Yellowstone NP and the Grand Tetons NP you get a sense that Wyoming is just getting started. (see previous post, 11.01.21 Summer Expedition Yellowstone NP, 2021 series) After a full day of traveling and sightseeing looking for camp at a lower elevation was becoming a priority.  

    Before the famed town of Cody on SR14,  I camped in Shoshone National Forest (the first National Forest in the USA, est.1891) at Hale Campground and waking up there sure felt good, warm temps and sunny skies I was taking it slow.  

   Breaking camp I was pushing on east heading towards Devil's Tower but first cruising through the historic western town of Cody.  Entering Buffalo Bill country is a true glimpse of the old wild west.  Filling up with petrol I thought I heard a grinding noise did a quick visual check and saw nothing to alarm me.  Jumping back on the road I was enjoying the drive on SR14A to Lovell when I started to hear that grinding noise again. 

       Just as I suspected it was the passenger side front wheel grinding on a rotor (loose bearings).  The same side I had replaced at the start of my trip in California, (brakes, front rotors turned, rear rotors replaced, passenger side wheel bearings replaced).  In Nevada my drivers side bearing spun loose resulting in me having it replaced in Ely, (a mechanics failure to secure the lock washer properly).  Now in Lovell WY and I'm still having bearing issues from the same garage that I paid to do the repairs.  Pissed and concerned I scouted for a area where I could work on my rig.  Driving around the block I noticed a spotless large church parking lot with shade and lights (if needed).  I wasted no time in getting my rig on a jack and investigate the failure.  

   Visually scored freshly turned rotor, I could see the problem right off, the bearings were extremely loose.  Thinking ahead I had picked up a couple of axle lock-nut kits from Cruiser Outfitters when I passed through SLC and I was confident I could fix the problem without issue. 

    Just then a local neighbor who lived across the street was curious and introduced himself, Frank offered his garage full of tools, I was caught off guard by his generosity.  He was as genuine as they come as we swapped a couple of Land Cruiser stories while I was working the spanners to my rig. 

     Letting me be I was now getting into the problem, removing the dust cover I was a gasp! The axle's locking snap ring was off and sticking inside the dust cover, I was on my way of losing a wheel.  Further inspection results indicated the wheel bearings nuts backed-off over 2 turns.  Feeling lucky in a way I was still in shock at the severity of the situation.

      Just then Frank came back with a zip-loc bag filled with peeled, sliced, salted fresh cucumbers from his garden in case I needed a snack, he was checking on my progress as he offered his tools again before leaving.  Munching on garden fresh cucumbers, I proceeded to reset the bearings seat with the newly installed axle lock-nut kit when my guy returned with his wife Brenda bearing gifts.  A thirsty-two-ouncer of coke, Frank and Brenda were making sure I was hydrated,  I was so grateful for their unbridled hospitality to a complete stranger and it didn't stop there. Then a women pushing a infant in a stroller and a toddler hanging on walked up to me and asked if I needed any assistance, I was completely blown-away.  I think that was before or after the 3-legged dog with one end of a leash in his mouth walking a little terrier clipped to the other end, I kid you not, (my hands were filled with axle grease and wasn't able to snap any pics) I just knew no one would believe me.

     Confident of the fix it was getting late and I needed to find camp, I'm so in luck!  Lovell offers free camping at their town's Travelers RV Park, pull-in's with spotless modern restrooms and free flowing hot showers.  Definitely feeling the LOVEll from this little town, I was able to meet some very cool folks, have a safe place to do repairs, a free camp with services and get to experience the whole reason why travel is necessary and adventure is at every turn, that's Rich!

    The next morning pointing east on SR14A out of Lovell, I was focused on getting back on the road.  The scenery was stunning, meadows, prairies, antelope and elevation gains, a limitless landscape.  

   Traveling through the Bighorn National Peak Mountains was a incredible trip to the town of Sheridan where I landed a fantastic free place to camp at the local Sheridan County Fair Grounds, what a hoot! 

A great spot to camp after racking on the miles as I head to Devil's Tower...

 

 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........