Summer Expedition Yellowstone NP, 2021 series

   Cold and partly sunny I started the day early leaving Jackson WY.  Not only was I on my way to visit two epic National Parks, I was crossing my fingers hoping the weather improves.  It was just about noon when I was peaking on visual-overload exiting the Grand Teton National Park (see previous post 10.26.21 Summer Expedition Grand Teton NP, 2021 series) and entering Yellowstone National Park

   Touring the GTNP spools you up as the incredible scale and the idyllic beauty is constantly bombarding you, it's exhausting.  Exhausted, elated and excited I was super psyched, it was the my first visit to Yellowstone National Park.  The sun was poking out as the day wore on and I was following the Grand Loop Rd around YSNP to all the main attractions.  

    My first stop to catch my breath stopped me in my tracks, a pull-out before Lily Falls.  The overlook was dramatic and so awe-inspiring I had to sit and take it all in before pressing on, Goose-Bumps!

    Jumping back into my rig it wasn't long before another epic landscape was laid out before me, Lily Falls.  Intense extreme and completely off the hook my adrenaline was kicking in like a kid in a ARB store.  Finding a picnic spot off the main park road, I was feeling the effects of low blood-sugar and needed to eat.  After a feed and a look around I was tip top and ready to continue exploring YSNP.  

   Crossing the Continental Divide I jumped out at Craig Pass (el8262ft) taking snaps.  YSNP's ecosystem ranges from near-desert vegetation to sub-alpine meadows and supports a variety of diverse wildlife, bison (buffalo), elk, grizzly and black bears, wolves, trumpeter swans and Yellowstone cutthroat trout.  Next up Kepler Cascades, a short walk out to a viewing platform overlooking a deep carved out cascading waterfall, Absolutely Stunning!!

    The shear magnitude of the Restless Giant is at the heart of Yellowstone's Super-Volcano, last erupted about 631,000 years ago give or take a few thousand.  Collapsed, forming a 30-by 40-mile caldera (basin) powering the park's geysers, hot springs, fumaroles and mudpots.  I was searching for parking as Old Faithful was scheduled to blow within the hour.

     Parking on the outskirts of the visitor education center I walked up to hundreds of people waiting to view the same phenomenon (the most people in one place I seen for quite a while).  Keeping my distance I spied a front row spot to watch one of the wonders of the world, Old Faithful.  Focused on taking a video version of the eruption I got some snaps before and after the show (video will be released at a later date through a new project, so stay tuned!).  Seeing it in person is the only way to get the full effect of this powerful ancient breathing super-volcano, Holy Heck! That's off the Charts! 

Touring through the Geyser Basin on Grand Loop Rd I was peaking once again on visual-overload.  I crossed Firehole River totally rubbernecking to my turn-off Firehole Lake Dr to the Lower Geyser Basin. 

 

    Off the main park road Firehole Lake Dr was one epic view after another there was so much scenery stacked on this 3klm road.  Vivid mind-blowing colors, smells and it's raw beauty I could have stayed on this track for hours.

Moving on the day was burning and there was a whole lot more to see.  My first and only buffalo I spotted was in the Yellowstone River a lone wanderer (such as myself) getting a little ankle soak. 

   The alien looking world of Sulphur Caldrons, bubbling Mud Pots and churning Black Dragon's Calderon was down river before spilling into the 410ft deep crystal clear Yellowstone Lake, Huge! 

   Darkness had fallen as I exited YSNP through the east entrance looking for a nearby camp, Completely Spent!!



Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........