Crystal Geyser, Utah 2021

     Point in any direction in Utah and you will find epic adventure and really cool stuff.  I was heading south to Green River from SLC (see previous post 12.21.21 Land Cruiser Heritage Museum, Cruiser Fest) and the drive was superb, stunning scenery and fantastic weather made the trip off the charts.  

    The small town of Green River is a little oasis with internet, provisions, fuel and a lovely city park to fill fresh water tanks, make some lunch and get caught up on world happenings.  Crystal Geyser was on my radar to find camp and soak in some excellent weather.  Heading out of town I shifted into 4wd leaving pavement I was on the back road to the geyser off of Little Valley Rd.  The trail was fun; it had it's surprises while crawling as I enjoyed navigating to the Crystal Geyser.  

    Camping was abundant since I was the only one there.  I chose a spot near enough to view the geyser when it decided to erupt, which was happening when I arrived and continued for most of the night. 

  
Crystal Geyser is a cold water geyser near the town of Green River.  The geyser was accidentally created when a drilling operation in 1935 hit a pocket of soda.  There was no danger other than getting pelted by the dime size rounded mineral deposits churning below being expelled as the water gushes to the top
.  

     Crystal Geyser is a rare example of a cold-water carbon dioxide driven geyser, geothermal activity does not play a role in the activity of the geyser.   The colorful mineral stained ground was shockingly bright in the sun as the water had been flowing on and off for years.  The intricate deposits were a labyrinth etched in time.

   Sitting next to the Green River the whole area took on a magical feel as color, smell and the sound of a throaty upheaval of water coursing through a couple hundred meters deep orifice in the earth gushing upward, (the geyser is caged to prevent anyone or thing falling into it or obstructing its path).  

   During the day a few visitors came and went.  Some were lucky enough to witness its action while my front row center seat was if I had the show all to myself.  

     Currently the geyser erupts every 8-27 hours, with some eruptions lasting 14 hours or longer.  The average height of modern eruptions are less than ten feet in height.  In the past I have seen pictures of the geyser soaring into the sky unfortunately this show was subdued but amazing to witness, it did have its exciting moments.

   The geyser is well worth a day visit or even camping, quiet and surreal there is plenty to check out climbing the trails and floating on the river.  It's definitely a stop for kayakers as they go down river.

   Leaving the geyser I'm headed to Hanksville and Capital Reef National Park, but first as I cruise down Route 24 I checked out Kathline Rock.



Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙......