Summer Expedition into Colorado, 2021 series

        Medicine Bow National Forest has a beauty all its own and its not hard to appreciate it.  Leaving Nebraska grasslands (see previous post 12.07.21; Summer Expedition Nebraska Grasslands, 2021 series) I was ready for some spectacular scenery of old growth pine forest and jagged rocky outcrops.  Entering Wyoming through a little town called Lyman heading west on SR92,  I traveled through Yoder, Hawk Springs, Chugwater and Horse Creek before getting to a tidy little town called Laramie home to Wyoming State University.  

        Once I was outside of Laramie I set my compass to Medicine Bow National Forest and found camp deep in the woods about 7000ft elev.  Plenty of USFS roads to choose from and it was wonderful to have a nose full of pine scented, mountain fresh air.  Enjoying the night skies I camped here for about 3 nights before moving on west to another portion of the MBNF.  

        This time the elevations were much higher and even colder at night.  There seemed to be no lack of fire wood or a fire-band therefore I had a blazing campfire each night with plenty of wood to spare.  

    But getting there was half the fun as in between I crossed the Historic Overland Trail marker 1862-1868; a bit of wild west history.  I also had to cross Snowy Range Pass a small chain of lakes at about 10,897ft elev.

       Pristine and clear it was a sunny warm day to be exploring the Medicine Bow Peak Special Botanical Area while I was looking for a short cut south through a rocky alpine valley to lower elevations.  

      Unfortunately after crawling over a rocky path for about a hour and half the trail just blended into large boulders and I knew it was not going to go well with my rig sitting on 33's.  Reroute and back tracking I soon got back onto SR130 and headed west looking for camp.

      In the morning I was determined to get to lower elevations so I headed south into Colorado and found myself in Roosevelt National Forest.  I camped at a wonderful spot right off  Manhattan Creek.  In the morning heading back, CR14 was closed!  A cement truck skidded into a ditch and was laying across the road, (how do you clean that up!). There went my straight shot to Fort Collins

      I was ultimately going to Boulder to check out a company that makes off-road style mini teardrop trailers, (research for future travel).  Hanging out in Boulder just long enough to get a tour of Colorado Teardrop's factory I was impressed on the features and build quality of these little gems. 

    The day was burning and I was heading out of town west toward Sulphur Hot Springs where I found camp in the Arapaho National Forest.

   In the morning I would head to Dinosaur weather permitting and make my way back into SLC to attend the Grand re-opening of the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum and 2021 Cruiser Fest, Oh Yeah!!


 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙.......