Kanab to Kodachrome State Park, UT

      Hog Canyon off of HWY89 is 7 miles north of Kanab and was a convenient dispersed camp area next to Kanab Creek.  Nicely wooded with a clear flowing creek, red rock and red sand I found a semi-secluded spot although you couldn't see the HWY you could hear it as the nosier trucks barreled by.   Just the same it sure made up in the lacking-department with the cool calming creek just steps away from camp and soon it was like the HWY wasn't there.  My epic adventure through GSENM was every bit as fun as it was exhausting (see previous post 01.18.22 Plan "B" GSENM, UT) so Kanab was a no brain-er before the sun went down.  

     Pulling in next to the Kanab Creek as the evening rain showers came and went I waited for the clouds to clear and caught up on some news, dry and comfy in my cab.  About a hour later I was popping my RTT watching the stars come out from behind some straggling clouds enjoying the first frothy of the day, (did not want to start drinking in case I had to move) tasty for sure!!! 

     The morning was clear and calm sun was shining and certainly promising to be another epic day in Utah on the trails.  I'm headed over to the Cockscomb also known as Cottonwood Canyon but first a stop at one of the very best showers in the region Kodachrome State Park, yeah you heard me!  Not only is this park incredible but the amenities are second to none in the wilderness.  Private modern hot showers clean and just about as fancy I was feeling giddy knowing that a fantastic shower awaits in due time. 

    After brekkie I broke camp and headed north there were a few slot canyons I wanted to check out, Bull Valley off of BLM500 or 89A.  First up was Lick Wash a carved out slot canyon with what looked like a ton of washed out rock from the recent rains, so cool.  Trees growing out of cracks in the rocks, narrow and winding I had to climb my way on foot to experience this little gem.  Then over to Bull Valley deep slotted canyons you have to drop into, unreal.  The scenery was endless and the drive was, well its Utah it never disappoints!! 

    Finding camp is a pleasure when your remote, I perched myself on the lip of a BLM canyon and made camp overlooking the Kodachrome Basin far in the distance, I'm really working up to that shower.  Weather holding and temps staying on the warm side I was in no hurry to do anything except enjoy the moment of remote overland travel. 

    With the full moon on the rise it was so big and bright it almost as felt as another sun was rising, Holy Heck.  At awe of the golden full moon illuminating the evening, casting shadows and monochromatic colors, the peaceful sound of the Kodachrome Basin was all I needed to ensure that choosing a life of remote overland travel is worth it, all 20 times over in a heartbeat, Thanks Mom!!

     Heading into the Kodachrome State Park I was rubber necking the whole way being it is a state park I purchased a day use ticket and started to explore the many monoliths, layered sediment rock formations and of course showers.  There are endless epic photos to be taken at every turn of your head and you just cant stop yourself from shooting pictures at all angles.  I took two showers, yeah I know I was extra dirty and it felt so darn good!!  The day was burning to a end as I left the park to find another outstanding BLM camp spot for the night all nice and clean.

      I awoke early the next morning to a curious visitor scratching his butt on my bumper, coffee and a quick bite I'm heading to The Cockscomb, Cottonwood Canyon Rd.

 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙.......