Loop the Fold Capital Reef, UT

     Capital Reef is one of my absolutely favorite places in Utah, the scenery is out of control and the tracks are sometimes crazy but, you always have the best stories when you go.  From Hanksville, I was headed for the River Ford crossing going the back way into the Capital Reef and the Cathedral Valley.  With the recent rains I was met with road closures.  Dang, I really wanted to get in the National Park through the river crossing.  Opening my map I explored my options and was soon talking to a ranger who advised me that although this road is closed for now I could try another route further north past Lao.  I had never been that way before so I decided to give it a shot.  Instead of south to north I'd do the opposite and go through the north west entrance.
      I had my sights on the Cathedral Valley Campground (the only camping in the park), this is another favorite remote camp with idyllic views and a iconic location to start exploring the Cathedral Valley and Capital Reef , did I say that I love this place!!  Well the ranger was right the roads were open and in fair condition.  I was soon shifting into 4wd and rubber necking through some of the most wild scenery in UT, deer and birds were scattering as I drove the remote track.  It looked as though no one had been on it for some time and I was enjoying every muddy turn.

    Taking my time I arrived at camp before the sun set.  I was the only one on the trails or in the campground, picking the outer-edge campsite it was loaded with fire wood, man I love this place!!  Leveling my rig I soon set-up camp broke out a cold frothy and sat next to a warming fire just me and zillions of stars.  If there is one place that's magical its got to be here. 

   Perched on top of the outer-edge of this geological feature, a wrinkle in the Earth's crust 10,000 feet of sedimentary rock, 100 miles long and over 280 million years ago formed by a fault over 7000ft higher, uplifting this valley that was once under water, Holy Heck I love this place!!

    Exploring the valley was incredible as I navigated through the water eroded washed out tracks.  Rock steps washed out creek crossings and drop-in pools of bull dust I was in seventh heaven, if there is such a place.  I hit Cathedral Junction and got on Cathedral Road (middle desert), although I've been here several times before it always feels new the light, shadows and road condition always change. 

    Heading over to the Temple of the Sun and Moon is when I saw a road casualty, a passenger car (right!) abandon on the side of the road with a note attached " Called for a tow truck" Yeah, I bet no phone service out here.  It appears that this Honda's driver must have sent it through a washed-out creek, when it ruptured its radiator and was sitting dead in its tracks.  With a large coolant stained ground in front of it who knows what else happened or how long its been here, (They definitely chose poorly!!)

    Taking the turn off to Glass Mountain and the Temple of the Sun and the Moon, was the only evidence of any one else I saw on this trip through Capital Reef

    Taking another turn off I stopped for lunch on the trail and was in awe with the solitude and quiet of my surroundings.  Yeah, I really do love this place!!

    Heading back to the empty campground it was a full day of exploration.  It was about dinner time and I was up for a feed.  Pesto with pasta and a couple of cold ones.  With the wind kicking up I was feeling the welcomed warmth of the fire. 

    In the morning I would be heading out of the Valley on Hartnet Road (south desert) filled with spectacular vistas and crazy wash outs as I make my way to the River Ford crossing hoping that the road closure was lifted and I can get through and as luck would have it, it was a little muddy but doable.

 After the crossing I'm headed to Escalante and the Grand Staircase.

 

Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙......