Plan "B" GSENM UT.

      Morning was beautiful, I was camped off of SR12 on Hole-in-the-Rock Rd a large BLM camp area overlooking a valley about 11miles outside of Escalante.  Yesterday I was exploring Left Hand Collet Rd when the road literally disappeared (washed-out), (see previous post 01.11.22 Left Hand Collet Rd, Not!! UT.).  After breaking camp I'm headed for the Escalante Inter-Agency Visitors Center to inform them of current Left Hand Collet Rd condition and double check on GSENM300 aka Smoky Mountain Rd my new route plan "B" to Big Water.  

   Although the weather is holding there are some thunderstorms in the forecast hopefully east of plan "B".  The track has seen some rain and is open and passable as the rangers stated, Nice!!  Fuel tank topped off I was extremely excited to venture through the Grand Staircase from north to south.  Taking the turn from SR12 shifting into 4wd I was leaving pavement as I double checked to make sure I was on the right trail, all systems go.  GSENM300 is about 78 miles to Big Water and I was looking at a full day of remote adventure.

     Wash-outs, rock steps and muddy tracks I was in hog heaven.  About 45 min into it I noticed rain clouds gathering I was keeping a keen eye out watching their movement hoping that they would stay away.  Further and further I navigated into the Grand Staircase the clouds seem to gather and be at my heels. The Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument is a vast and austere landscape, rugged and remote, bold plateaus, multi-hued cliffs run for distances that defy human perspective, the last place in the continental United States to be mapped.  

     As the track ran twisting and turning I was soon in wet puddling rain and thinking to myself, this is not good!  I don't want to be in the middle of this track when the clouds open up.  You see this is "Flash Flood Country" whats the definition; Washes and narrow canyons are subject to sudden, unexpected flash flooding.  It may be sunny where you are, but a distant storm can dump rain upstream sending a wall of water rushing down a normally dry wash or canyon.  NEVER ENTER WASHES OR NARROW CANYONS WHEN IT IS RAINING OR THREATENING TO RAIN.

   "Well Hells Bells Mildred", I've got about 50 or so miles before the other side.  Keeping my cool wipers flapping and a eye in the sky I was hell-bent on momentum, shifting into 4wd-low making sure my wheels have purchase on the hilly wet slippery muddy felt-like road conditions.  After a bunch and I mean a bunch of tense twisted miles I was starting to see the blue skies on the other side, what a relief.  My rig preformed flawlessly I was in complete control, maneuvering through the adverse weather with authority and mindful caution. 

   The scenery was stunning the whole way, jaw dropping breathtaking views, formations and colors dancing off the wet soil and rocks as the sun came out to play.  With intermittent rain I was able to stop and enjoy the moment taking it all in, truly outstanding!! 

     Soon I was overtaken by the gilded canyons transformed into a amazing spectacle of epic proportions.  I can't say this enough but, Utah is incredible at every turn it never ceases to amaze me.

     The twisted track was climbing as well as clinging to the edges of canyons ancient rock carved from millions of years of water wind and volcanic activity.  There is so much about this planet to comprehend that adventure, exploration and living the moment is what drives someone like me to experience overlanding at it's remotest of travel.

      Coming down off the Grand Staircase it was a straight shot into Big Water and the end of the rainbow.  With another day coming to a end I was headed to Knab to find camp.

 

 Hope to see you on the Trail!!..

🚙........